Author Topic: Living Room PC  (Read 1066 times)

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
Living Room PC
« on: Friday 29 June 07 13:38 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have one of these?  I've seen them advertised lately.  It's a sort of PC/TV combined with a Freeview box.
Are they any good?
Thanks
Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Living Room PC
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 07 13:51 BST (UK) »
As is the same with loads of "all-in-one" units, when one things goes wrong you can lose the lot. Especially when it gets sent off for repairs.

Another down side to having all-in-one units is that the features won't be as comprehensive as dedicated separates. Some like them, some dislike them. If you're short on space they can be very handy but you'll probably find that some features you're used to on separates won't be available unless you spend a lot of money and seeing that technology advances now at such an alarming rate, is it really worth it?

With separates you can upgrade one piece at a time as your budget and/or likes allow.

It's a bit like laptops and desktop PCs. Laptops are handy for those lacking on space or want a portable machine but unlike a PC, you can't upgrade bits easily or at all.
Derby: WOODCOCK (Donnington)
Devon: HARRIS (Plymouth)
Lancashire: DERRICK
Lincolnshire: CROPPER, WOODCOCK (Boston)
London: BARKER, DUGGIN, HARRIS, HINTON, HULBERT, WHITE
Wales: HARRIS, PRITCHARD (Pembrokeshire)
Warwickshire: DERRICK, WOODCOCK
Desperate for my Woodcocks from Birmingham!

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • It's Déjà vu, all over again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 June 07 15:24 BST (UK) »
In my experience the noise generated by the unit, primarily by the internal fan, can be quite wearying after a while.

John
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for your input.
Up to now I have had no PC at home at all but with all my FH and other pursuits, I now need one.
I'm thinking of this solution for the dining room because we only need a small TV in there and I have no space in the house for a desktop PC and don't want to hunch over a laptop!  To be honest I hadn't thought about the ease of upgrade aspect, but was in any case hoping to get the highest spec I can afford and hope not to need an upgrade too soon - I won't be using it for games for example. 
But I am concerned to hear about the fan problem as my ageing work PC drives me mad with its noise!

Thanks again
Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 July 07 10:15 BST (UK) »
If you're not using it for games then you won't need anything really powerful so don't let anyone try and sell you something with a "nice big" graphics card that you probably won't ever push to its limits.

Not having much room you want to go for a TFT monitor instead of a chunky CRT one. TFT are also much more friendly when it comes to your eyes.

One last thing - be very wary of PC World - use a local chap instead ;)
Derby: WOODCOCK (Donnington)
Devon: HARRIS (Plymouth)
Lancashire: DERRICK
Lincolnshire: CROPPER, WOODCOCK (Boston)
London: BARKER, DUGGIN, HARRIS, HINTON, HULBERT, WHITE
Wales: HARRIS, PRITCHARD (Pembrokeshire)
Warwickshire: DERRICK, WOODCOCK
Desperate for my Woodcocks from Birmingham!

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 July 07 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Zeb - very helpful!
My main uses will be internet, a bit of basic Word & Excel, and managing digital photos (nothing too creative - I won't have time!)
I'm not at all techie in the hardware sense, even tho' I used to be a programmer, hence the appeal of the all-in-one solution.
Yes, I do know to be wary of PC World - but I'll probably go there to take a look!

Regards
Diana

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 July 07 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana

For the past 4 years I used a lap top & certainly didn't "hunch over" it at all. Most of the time it was on my desk - I use an attached mouse but was quite happy with the lap keyboard (some folks also use a separate keyboard). It was becoming overheated at times so I thought I would upgrade & decided a desk top would probably be better - bigger screen, more diskspace - whatever. BAD MOVE

I so miss the quiet and space saving of my lap. The desktop & screen now take up most of the desk & I have no room for working papers etc. My radio link won't work if I put the computer on the floor. I cannot take it anywhere else (amazing how I now want to do this more than I did before).

I will soon be giving it away & getting another lap top - so don't instantly dismiss them as I found they are a space saving & convenient option.

Trish

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish
More food for thought!
I wouldn't have room for a desktop anyway.  The notebook is still a possibility but I'm still tempted by the TV/PC combo!

Diana

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 14:49 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to revive this one and wondered if anyone had any more comments?

Thanks
Diana