Author Topic: Can any Surrey experts help with a brick wall?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Can any Surrey experts help with a brick wall?
« on: Friday 29 June 07 14:18 BST (UK) »
I’ve been trying to track down my ggg grandfather William GOATER for some time now and I have had a lot of help from people here on Rootschat and on GR.

To cut a long story short he was born c.1820, joined the army in Hereford in 1844, married in Ireland in 1846 and died in the Crimea in 1854/55.

I’ve tried to find out where he was born but can’t find any army info on his origins etc. GOATER is a fairly common surname in Hampshire but I am struggling to make connections. (My Goaters ended up in Lancashire after William’s wife re-married to a  fellow soldier).

So I decided to try another tack……William’s son Henry KINGSTON GOATER died at 1 Aden Villas, Tongham, Surrey in July 1920 and the witness on the death cert was his cousin Kate BREWER. I wondered if finding out more about her relationship to Henry might give me a connection to William.

I contacted the Surrey History Centre and they checked the electoral roll for 1920 (£12 later!!) but no Brewers at this exact address. The most similar address they could find was in Ash Vale and the people who lived there were called WEST, Gordon Hope and James.

Note sure what to do next really. I’ve tried googling Aden Villas and not come up with anything and an electoral roll search on findmypast comes up blank also.

I’ve found a death cert for a Kate Brewer in 1921 and, assuming she was a contemporary of Henry’s, the age is about right.

Obviously I’m clutching at straws here but if anyone has any thoughts I’d love to hear them.

Many thanks

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Can any Surrey experts help with a brick wall?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 07 18:11 BST (UK) »
Does his marriage cert give  his fathers name?
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 07 14:18 BST (UK) »
Yes sorry Sue - his father's name is also William!!! I wish they had had a bit more imagination sometimes.

Best wishes

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 07 14:36 BST (UK) »
Marie,
        you may have seen this William 1817 in Winchester parents William and Eleanor...IGI info..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 07 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hmm, so, what was his wife's name? Kingston?  There's no Goater/Brewer or Kingston/Brewer marriages I can spot, but of course she could be descended from a sister of one of the families.  Or she could be a cousin from the step-father's family...

How old was the Kate Brewer you found the death certificate for? Could start by trying to find her in 1901, presuming that she would have the same name at that point.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hepburn - yes I have that IGI info - just can't tie it in anywhere yet.

Jorose - she was 62 I think.

Thanks for your interest

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL