Author Topic: Holywood surnames - Patton, McCutcheon, Jackson, Spence  (Read 1837 times)

Offline kiwibev

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holywood surnames - Patton, McCutcheon, Jackson, Spence
« on: Sunday 01 July 07 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching (with great difficulty) my PATTON ancestral line from Holywood and would sincerely appreciate any information on the following.  I believe they were connected to the 1st Presbyterian Church in Holywood.

Jackson Patton born around 1832 - married Mary McKelvey on 25 June 1853 in Holywood, it is possible Jackson married twice.
I believe Jackson and Mary had one son also named Jackson. Any other children??  Where did they live in Holywood?  I have two dates of death for Jackson Patton, possibly father and son, in 1897 and again in 1899.  Where are these men buried? 

Eliza Patton born around 1833 - married David McCutcheon on 6th April 1863 in Holywood - any children?? 

John Patton born around 1838.  Marrried in NZ in 1865 and died in 1873 leaving a young widow with four very young children.  John Patton was my 2 x great grandfather.

James Patton born around 1848 married Ann Purdy 26 Nov 1866. James was head gardener at Woodvale Park when it first opened in the 1860s and lived in the gardeners cottage. He died there on 24 Dec 1924.  Any children? Where is he buried?

William Jackson Patton born 1884 Holywood.  Who did he marry and were there any children?  Where did he live?  Where is he buried?

Also a John Spence from Holywood had a close connection with the Patton family.  He acted as guarantor for the sum of Twenty Pounds back in 1854 for John Patton when he signed on as an apprentice seaman.   He also signed as a witness at Eliza Patton's wedding.   I would love to know what the connection is. 

All the above have William Patton, Labourer or Ag farmer, listed as their father.   I do not know who their mother is but it is possible her name was Agnes Carson and I am still trying to verify this.

For the past few years I have been trying to trace my Patton ancestors and in early September we are travelling from New Zealand to Belfast and would very much like to meet up with descendants of any of the above named people, and also to visit their gravesites if at all possible.  As you know tracing Irish ancestors is extremely difficult and even more so when one is on the 'other side and at the bottom' of the world!

Amy information will be very much appreciated. 

With thanks.
Kiwibev
New Zealand

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Holywood surnames - Patton, McCutcheon, Jackson, Spence
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 July 07 22:12 BST (UK) »
hello kiwibev, found this. births. WILLIAM MCCUTCHEON. 25-3-1865. MARGARET JANE MCCUTCHOEN. 19-6-1866.HOLLYWOOD, DOWN, ANTRIM.

parents. DAVID MCCUTCHEON & ELIZA PATTON.

regards mary.

doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline mossy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 07 12:59 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 07 13:25 BST (UK) »
Eliza Patton born around 1833 - married David McCutcheon on 6th April 1863 in Holywood - any children?? 
Four children listed on IGI- just go to www.familysearch.org, click 'Search' tab and put in only David McCutcheon (under father) and Eliza Patton (under mother).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kiwibev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 07 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary, 'mossy' and 'aghadowey',

I really appreciate your replies and information.  Thanks so much.  I will follow the McCutcheon line  through and see if there are any living relatives. 

And how silly of me NOT to have looked on the IGI.  You know sometimes I research all sorts of other places and forget to look at the obvious!

Thanks again.

Bev
New Zealand