Author Topic: Kilconduff Church Records 1830-1850s Still looking  (Read 15043 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kilconduff Church Records 1830-1850s Still looking
« on: Wednesday 04 July 07 06:17 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone who can advise me where to find church records for the area in and around Kilconduff?

I'm trying to trace where my great-grandparents came from, at some time in the mid-1850s (they were not on the 1851 census for England but appeared by 1861, with children born England from 1857 onward.

Having had nothing more to go on than a single mention of Mayo in the English censuses, I have just checked the updated Leitrim-Roscommon census and found that there were still families with both the names I'm seeking (McDonough/Oliver) in Kilconduff in 1901 so hope that will give me a focus for further research.

They would have been catholic and born in the early 1830s.  Was there a catholic church in the village then and would the records still exist?  If so where would they be kept now?

Any suggestions of any other local resources from around the 1850s would be most welcome.

Sorry for all the questions but I know you guys have lots of answers, thanks in advance.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kilconduff Church Records 1830-1850s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hello.  Have a look at:  www.eastmayo.org  there are marriages for Kilconduff 1846-1878 listed.  You may find something relevant there.

Have you checked the Griffiths Valuation which was a land valuation around 1850s has an index at:   http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

Good luck
Dee

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dee,

although I had looked at the East Mayo site and failed to find the marriage I was looking for, a second look brought to my attention the warning that the list is incomplete so maybe I need to see the actual (or film of) records.

A couple of striking things were the number of family names I recognised from my census trawls of Bilston so if they all came across together that may support having found the right area that they came from, and also the odd distribution of marriages throughout the year.

Was it normal in Ireland to marry only in January, February and March at that time?  I always thought that marriages in Lenten time were frowned upon - not so in that parish it seems.

Other useful info was that most of the other civil parishes that I had found with the family names I was looking for were actually part of that same catholic parish.

I've checked several sites for Griffiths info, and now including your suggestion, and found the family name but not the people I am looking for, and don't know quite how to interpret it.  I'd rather thought that families fleeing "the great hunger" were unlikely to be landowners/landholders or, at the least, would be the younger children of large families that could no longer support them all at home.  Maybe that information will be more useful when I can link back to the previous generation.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 07 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,  here are some LDS film nos that may help you in your search for records.  With reference to Griffiths, you didn't have to be a landowner to be listed.  It listed the Townlands, Occupiers,  Lessor and Tenament buildings and acreage and their annual rent.

Parochial registers of Meelick and Kilconduff, 1808-1915.  Includes records from Killmovee and Swineford.  Some writing is faded and illegible.

Killmove also spelled Kilmovee.
Swineford was a parish but later became a part of Kilconduff parish.
Church parish of Meelick and Kilconduff has been separated into two parishes.
The Catholic parish of Meelick and Kilconduff is in the civil parishes of Meelick and Kilconduff. The Catholic parish is also called Swinford.
Some records are not in order. A repetition in dates indicates different records.

Ireland, Mayo, Kilmovee - Church records
Ireland, Mayo, Meelick - Church records
Ireland, Mayo, Kilconduff - Church records
Ireland, Mayo, Kilconduff, Swineford - Church records

Baptisms, 1841-1915; marriages, 1846-1878. -  FHL BRITISH Film [ 1279233 Items 5 - 9 ]
Baptisms, 1822-1900; marriages, 1808-1915. -  FHL BRITISH Film [ 926020 ]

You can order this film from your nearest LDS Family History Centre.  www.familysearch.org

Regards
Dee Melody
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kilconduff Church Records 1830-1850s Still looking
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 22:23 BST (UK) »
Still haven't managed to get to a family history centre but hope to be able to get over to Dublin later this year and look up the filns there and finally find any McDonough/Oliver baptisms in the 1851-1857 period. I hope to visit Mayo too.

Finally found a transcription (on IFHF) showing that they did marry in Kilconduff in Feb 1851.  Interestingly, the marriage is listed on EastMayo.com but the groom's name is wrong and no surname given for the bride so was not recognisable as the same event.

I'd be very grateful now for any information that anyone can give me on Kilconduff and Meelick as I'm having great difficulty finding anything by websearch, other than other people's family history/discussions.

Do these towns/villages still exist? or have they now been absorbed into Swinford?

:D Must say that when I looked back and found this thread, I was quite pleased with myself that the marriage was eventually found in the place I had  deduced as the most likely place for them to have come from, so long ago!

Offline Trilobite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I found a great website recently http://www.mayoancestors.com/Default.aspx

You can find limited information on marriages, deaths & births without buying credits. I did buy some credits and I have managed to pin down the exact area where part of my family is from. The baptismal records list an address/village for the child.

Hope this helps,

Trilobite
Durkin - County Mayo & Bradford, Yorkshire
Linskey - County Mayo & Bradford, Yorkshire
Cannon - County Sligo & Bradford, Yorkshire
O'Hara - County Sligo & Bradford, Yorkshire
Hilditch - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wilcock - Preston & Burnley
Horsfield - Bury
Howard - Liverpool
Wilson - Scarborough
Gibson - Scarborough
Normandale - Scarborough

Offline bbstport

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 May 08 07:37 BST (UK) »
just had a look at this site myself and it is indeed quite a good site - not bought any credits yet though
regards
belinda
Carroll - salford, stockport yorkshire and ireland
Horan - stockport and ireland
Barrow - cumbria
Turner - stockport
McLoughlan - Altrincham, Stockport and Ireland

Offline fcurran1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 May 08 22:22 BST (UK) »
On 12/20/1851 Bridget McDonough was born to James and Margaret Oliver McDonough at The Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Bilston, Staffordshire, England.  I believe Bridget is the sister of my ggm Maria McDonough Burke.  They are both from County Mayo, Ireland.
My emails are not working sorry
USA & Galway - Curran, Ross
USA & Donegal - Burke, Murray
USA & Mayo - Hughes, Moran
USA,Mayo & Bilston - Burke, McDonough

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 May 08 08:21 BST (UK) »
To Fcurran

This is brilliant!

I've been hoping to prove that for ages. What information have you got?

James and Margaret are my GGGrandparents.  (added: I think I have most if not all info on the family from Holy Trinity (with Pics))  - (Correction: Great Grandparents: I am the daughter of the youngest child of the youngest child)

I think (but haven't yet got the marriage certs that would prove it) that that also makes Michael (1st wife Catherine McKew (McHugh/McCue), 2nd wife Winifred Lally/Biggins) the same family too (and possibly some more, also relocated to Bilston).  Michael and Winifred eventually emigrated to the US (?to join daughters already out there)

Would you like to PM me and I can share more information.

That would make us 3rd cousins!   :D

Sheila
PS sorry haven't replied to other responses yet (also to a couple of other questions this week), but had a very busy week.  Off to the library this am to check some more info on more of this family but will reply later.  Brickwalls crumbling to dust  ;D