Author Topic: Boothroyd 1780/90's  (Read 2734 times)

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boothroyd 1780/90's
« on: Friday 06 July 07 13:33 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a Luke Boothroyd in their tree born about 1790?? I'm afraid I have no idea as to his location other than in June1809 he joined the 33rd Regiment of Foot - no records survive of his joining (which could have given his birthplace) but I do have copies of muster rolls from the National Archives from which the 1809 date was obtained.

I have tried so many things that any leads would be most welcome.

June

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Boothroyd 1780/90's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 07 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hello June

In the 1841 census there was a Luke Boothroyd born 1827 living in Deighton and born in County
In the 1851 census there was a Luke Boothroyd born 1811 living in and born at Honley

Both in the Huddersfield area. If Luke was carried on as a family name???  Parish records could be helpful

Regards Oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 07 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Oly,

Luke moved to Scotland ~1821 which is why he is difficult to trace early on in England as all the census says is 'England'. I've had lots of parish records looked through but so far can't find a birth. It is not that common a name so I'll keep hoping!

June

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 July 07 17:19 BST (UK) »
there is a luke boothroyd marriage to mary ingledew in sunderland,durham on the 25th feb. 1817.
extracted record from the IGI
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 July 07 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Wozzle,

Yes that is him and I have a copy of the Parish record which sadly does not give any information about them. He was still a soldier at this time; their first child was born in the Citadel, Hull in Dec. 1817.

thanks,

June

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 07 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi June,

Your post took my interest - I'm also looking for a missing Boothroyd!   :'(

Have you any particular reason for supposing your Luke came from West Yorkshire - other than the fact that the name Boothroyd seems to be confined to West Yorkshire - and usually the Huddersfield area?

My missing Boothroyd would have been born about 1800 and was named Bathsheba which is also a pretty unusual name - but I still can't find her!

The fact that you mention Luke's first child was born in the Citadel, Hull made me wonder. Is this connected to the Salvation Army? Biblical names like Luke and Bathsheba may have a connection to the Salvation Army - I don't know!

I'm not very 'up' on the Salvation Army - did they keep their own baptism records like - say - the Quakers?

I have no idea how to go about finding any Salvation Army records. I wonder of anyone else might be able to help?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 July 07 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

My reason behind West Yorkshire was based on Luke joining the 33rd Regiment of Foot in 1809 and this region has been given to me as the most likely recruitment place. The Citadel was a 'regular' army barracks so nothing to do with the Salvation Army. I believe the Salvation Army didn't start until 1865 anyhow so would not help in your search for Bathsheba. If I see her on my 'travels' through the Boothroyds I'll let you know!

June

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Here's something - Luke Boothroyd fought at the battle of Waterloo. He was in No.10 Company of the 33rd Foot.
I keep a database of all Waterloo combatants and have nothing listed for this man. Could you fill me in? Birth place, date, death etc?

Kind regards
Martin

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Yes I know Luke was in the Battle of Waterloo as I have some copies of muster rolls and he also appears on the medal roll. I have no idea as to his birth date or place other than England around 1790 and was hoping somebody may have had him in a family tree. He died between 1841 & 1851 in Forgandenny, Perthshire.  No records survive for the precise date. He was a groom for Lord Ruthven though had retired prior to his death. He was discharged from the regiment due to ill health at the end of 1821. He joined mid 1809.

June