Author Topic: SPRY and JEWELL Marhamchurch  (Read 4363 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
SPRY and JEWELL Marhamchurch
« on: Saturday 07 July 07 03:19 BST (UK) »
I received the marriage certificate for John Spry and grace jewell in 1856.  The handwriting is not too clear but Grace's father was William and John's looks like Richard.  Place of residence was Marhamchurch.  John was 24 and Grace 19.  I found William in the 1841 Census, Marhamchurch and Grace was 4.

In the 1851 Census, Grace is 16 with William 58.  These two are at Hilton Cross and place of birth for both is Marhamchurch.  I did not find Mary, Grace'ls mother or sister Mary or brother Henry. 

John and Grace emigrated to Reach Township, Ontario Canada.  In the 1871 Census, Grace is head of household and her widowed mother, Mary is living with her and the boys.

The two older boys - Henry Jewell Spry and William are listed in the 1871 Canada census as having been born in England but I have been unable to locate them or John and Grace after the 1856 Wedding date...do not know when they arrived in Canada.  Henry Jewell Spry was born in 1858.  REcords conflict here...one record states he was born in Canada and another states England.

Any one related to either of these two lines?

Sharon Spry
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SPRY and JEWELL Marhamchurch
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 07 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

A while ago I did some lookups for the surname Spry in Brisbane, Australia. If you search rootschat for the surname Spry the post should appear. I think someone had a lot of Spry research. it may be worthwhile you contacting them.

Good luck.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 07 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I did find a family tree with quite a bit of information on this line but it was late and could not figure out how to respond...will be going back there to try and get in touch.  I have information that was missing in that entry and there was information I did not have!!

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 07 14:07 BST (UK) »
To search for the surname Spry in previous posts, just click on the middle box "search rootschat" at the top of the page. All mentions of that word will come up. You can click on any of the posts to read the whole post which mentions Spry. You can then add your comments in the usual way if you wish.

To contact someone personally you can just click on their name to the left of the screen. Their info will come up. At the bottom of that page you will see "send a personal message". Click on this and away you go.

I hope that all makes sense.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 July 07 21:30 BST (UK) »
It makes sense...I think the heat here in Jacksonville, Florida is affecting my brain...steam heat time!!

Sharon

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 July 07 23:05 BST (UK) »
Sharon I perfectly understand that. I live in a sub tropical part of Australia and we suffer with high temperatures and humidity in summer. I think it is a medical fact that the brain fries in those conditions  ;)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 July 07 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I think this is John Spry in 1841

HO107/140/6 Folio 9 Page 10
Sweet
St Gennys

SPRY Richard 40 Y (yes born in Cornwall  Ag Lab     
SPRY Mary 40 Y       
SPRY John 7 Y       
SPRY William  5 Y   
SPRY Gane (female) 1 Y     
SAUNDERCOCK John 1 Y 
PALMER Mary 65 Y Inmate
PALMER Thomas 5 Y Inmate

1851 I see Mary Spry was born in Marhamchurch

HO107/1897 Folio 316 Page 16
Old Dezard
St Gennys

SPRY Richard Head 48 Mar b Jacobstow Farm Lab
SPRY Mary wife 49 b Marhamchurch
SPRY Jane Dau 11 b St Genny ......So Gane is Jane interesting variant  ::) )
SPRY Richard Son 9 b St Gennys
SPRY Grace dau 5 b St Gennys

John is a farm Servant in St Gennys

HO107/1897 Folio 325 Page 5
Hallegather
St Gennys

Home of John Elson Farmer

SPRY John Servant 17 Unm b St Gennys Farm Servant

By 1861 mother Mary is still in Dizzard St Gennys Widowed.
RG9/1514 Folio 17 Page 9

I cannot find John and Grace anywhere so it appears they emigrated between 1856 and 1861.

Marriage

SPRY Richard = PALMER Mary 17 Mar 1825 Marhamchurch

So it appears Mary PALMER in 1841 is probably Mary's Mother

Baptism

SPRY John 17 Mar 1833 St Gennys parents Richard and Mary

Marhamchurch is 6 miles from St Gennys

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 July 07 00:33 BST (UK) »
Sharon,

Have you tried the Canadian 1861 census? I am afraid I can't help with that. Perhaps you should post a request for it. I really think they must have emigrated before 1861.

I have just been through the GRO images and I find this

SPRY Henry born Mar 1/4 1858 Stratton 5c 4

I wonder  :-\ - Stratton is the correct registration district and I do not see this Henry in 1861 which makes me wonder if he is yours. Perhaps the Jewell was added later. You could try ordering the cerificate specifying parents and that way it will only cost 3 pound if it is wrong. I cannot see a birth of another Henry SPRY in the right era.

Cheers Kris  :D

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 July 07 03:29 BST (UK) »
I cannot thank all you wonderful people enough.  I called my dad, 80, who began bugging  me to find out more about his family...and he is quite excited.  And he said to say thank you as well.  Malcolm Jardine Spry would be Richard and Mary's great-great grandson...alive and well via Canada to New York State to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Now, I have a question...were the Spry's always bowlegged or is this a different genetic addition?  My dad's favorite store was SEars...the hardware department...he now builds furniture and cabinets in his retirement...
I remember trotting along behind him...and those bowed legs...no butt...shorts flapping in the breeze...trying to keep up...always wondered where those legs came from...

Sharon