Author Topic: Swansea (Morriston) Crematorium  (Read 12529 times)

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ask now! Tomorrow might be too late....
    • View Profile
Re: Swansea (Morriston) Crematorium
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 18:45 BST (UK) »
Any tips on searching a churchyard for something you want? Apart from taking a machete?  ;D
Northants - Stevenson, Smith, Spriggs, Hight, Dodson, Coleman
Swansea - Thomas, Williams, Howell, David, Rees, Griffiths, Jenkins, Bevan
Rutland - Hales
Derbyshire - Harlow, Riley, Pemberton, Aldred
Yorkshire - Stamper, Boyes, Duke
London - Harper, Wallis
Essex - Shelford, Wallis, Read, Stanes
Hertfordshire - Bishop
Cornwall - Johns, Soper, Rowe, Ball, Webb, Dunn, Quintrell, Hain, Oliver
Gloucestershire - Harper, Ash, Gregory, Denman
County Durham - Proud, Duke
Yorkshire - Stamper, Pickering

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 July 07 18:30 BST (UK) »
Yes it's the one behind the Little Cherubs. The one down by Tesco's (Bethlehem) is lovely and clear but I couldn't open the gate, although people passing told me it was always open - well it wasn't yesterday!

The council run cemeteries are, as we've said before, beautifully kept and it's fairly easy to find the graves you want - the problems start with the smaller church yards and in particular, the chapelyards. Many of them have very poorly kept records (if they have any at all) and even when you can walk around them without losing a leg, or your mind, you can still draw a blank.

You find a lot of stones which have been laid face down because of safety issues, and it can be very difficult to find out who they are.

I photograph the war graves for the War Graves Project and sometimes I am not given a number or even a direction and have to check every grave reading all of them to find the right name. (if it is a recognisable war grave then obviously it's easy, but some are ordinary stones and can have me searching for hours).

The best advice I can give you is wear sturdy shoes, thick clothes, gardening gloves if necessary and put your patient head on, because sometimes it's frustrating beyond words.

If you really can't find a grave you are searching for, then there is always someone to ask and they are usually very helpful; the vicar, minister, secretary or warden, to name a few.

Bev.
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 July 07 17:43 BST (UK) »
I take back what I said about Bethlehem, Fforestfach being clear - the section I need is horribly overgrown and almost impossible to search!
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 December 12 12:44 GMT (UK) »

You should try Mynyddbach Congregational Chapelyard -

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
] or rather you shouldn't if you want to get out of there in one piece![/color][/b]

I was there on Saturday and the old section is so overgrown that it's dangerous as you don't know where you are putting your feet and you can't see the gravestones. I had thick jeans on but my legs are ripped to bits! I couldn't find the graves I was looking for and I'm going to have to wait for winter when everything dies back.

Another bad one is Bethel chapelyard in Llangyfelach - brambles and goodness knows what.

Bev.  :)

Times have changed since the original posts of 2007.  It is now 2012 and Mynyddbach Chapel Grave Yards, all four of them, are gradualy being tidied-up. with the grave of Daniel James (b:1848, d:1920) (poet Gwyrosydd) who wrote Calon Lan being signposted from the Church Gate.

Regards, JohnG, Swansea.

Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 December 12 19:04 GMT (UK) »

Cwmgelly (Cwmgelli) Cemetery Treboeth Swansea (not too far from Landore) Opened for burials 1896  Area - approx. 8 acres Grave spaces - 5,317 All interments are made in existing family owned graves only now (no new plots available)
http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=14539&articleaction=print
Bev.  :)

I discovered when I visited Cwmgelli Cemetery in 2005 that my Grandfather had purchased a double plot when he buried his youngest son there in 1930. The chap that I spoke to there when I was trying to locate my Uncle's grave, kept pointing out that there was still a space available there!!

Hopefully I won't be requiring it for a while yet...

Romilly ;D ;D ;D
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 December 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I don't think they did 'buy one, get one free' offers on graves... :)

My first job (1968) was as burials clerk with what was then the County Borough of Swansea Council. Even back then the older council run cemeteries were essentially 'full' as far as brand new graves were concerned.

In the 1800s it was common for a new grave to be dug nine feet deep, allowing for up to four coffins over time. As 'new' grave space became tight some families bought adjoining plots so as to, almost literally, fit in numerous family members as the decades passed.

One issue was that, again over time, some families moved away and didn't use the reserved plot or maybe opted for cremation. Reserving plots was not allowed when I joined the service.

Bernard   

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline DavidCowley53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Swansea (Morriston)
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 March 13 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Is there someway I can find the location of a particular grave online for the Morriston Cemetary in Swansea??  I plan to be in Swansea but the cemetary to be rather large to find a single gravestone :-(

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 March 13 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello David

I am fairly sure the council have not yet, nor do I know if they intend to, upload burial plot numbers to the internet.  However I have always found the staff at the Civic Centre to be most helpful on the telephone (here) bottom of the right hand panel.

As you will be a visitor to the cemetery you might find it helpful to down load a plan of the cemetery (here) near the bottom of the page.

Regards, JohnG, Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline DavidCowley53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 March 13 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JohnG_Swansea.  Already have the plan.  I'll talk to the Civic Centre once I arrive. Thanks again  :) :)