Author Topic: Brickwall - HELP!  (Read 2753 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Brickwall - HELP!
« on: Thursday 12 July 07 00:57 BST (UK) »
I've put numerous posts on RC looking for snippets of information about this before and you've all been a fantastic help.  I've gathered a lot of info from your replies.

HOWEVER..... :-\ I'm stumped.

Can anyone help or at least give me new suggestions on where to look.
I'm stuck at my gggggrandfather b1750 /1751.

What I have is:
James Forrest m Janet Rochead in Kirkintilloch.  I have OPR 498/0040 0069 in Kirkintilloch (this record confused SP - it is on SP as marriage of James and Janet in 1826 but 1826 is in fact Janet's date of death - take my word for this - I've checked)
I have his 9 children from SP / IGI etc - Kirkintilloch, Slamannan, Cumbernauld, Campsie.
James' death from Campsie OPR - died 14 Feb 1824 aged 73 married..
I've got the inventory of his estate from SP.  No useful info there.
From the info I've got, James was born 1750 / 1751.
There are about 6 James Forrests on SP that could be relevant - these I haven't got yet - I don't see the point because the info on the records would not confirm or otherwise whether I had the correct James.

I had a discussion with pettsy earlier and she suggested the Mitchell Library.  I must say I've considered this before and it would not be too difficult for me because I live in Glasgow but what would I be looking for that would help me track down James I don't have already or that I can't get through sites like SP etc.

Suggestions please.

Sorry this is so long-winded.   

One last thing.....

HELP!!!!!!!

Dave

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 07 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

I am wondering is it possible the family may have got Poor Relief ? Those records are held in the Mitchell.

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 07 02:53 BST (UK) »
I've got no idea Ann.  This isn't something I'd thought about before.  Wouldn't know how to check. ???
Dave
-------------------

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 July 07 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Have sent you a PM with a list of what you can expect to find in the Poor Relief Records. Hope helps.

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 July 07 12:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, got it thanks.  To be honest, I don't hold out too much hope with that line of enquiry but I'll keep it in mind if and when I visit the Mitchell.
Dave

Has anyone else out there got any suggestions?
-------------------

Offline murray61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 07 21:49 BST (UK) »
The Poor Law started in 1845 and it seems that your research is earlier than that.

But it is still worth searching the Poor Law registers for later family members.
Many people appear in the registers if they needed hospital treatment, or they became elderly and infirm.

There are indexes to many of the records on computer screens in the GCA.
These indexes have been compiled by the GWSFHS with the Archives.

It seems that you need to get geographic in your searching to eliminate some possible matches or to calculate probabilities.  If they stayed on the same farm for generations, that would be ideal.

Perhaps the strange 18thC tax records in the NAS can help?

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 July 07 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Something not quite right  about this. I did an IGI parent search for James Forrest and Janet Rochead and it comes back with 1 child, James Forrest born 4 Apr 1781 christened 29 Apr 1781 in Kirkintilloch, and that is an extracted record. When I search for marriage of James Forrest and Janet Rochead I also get 1826 at Kirkintilloch, that too was an extracted record. I take it that this has been mistranscribed as in SP. I have searched on SP and only get 1 child for these 2 parents.

On IGI, Janet Rochead is born 1761 at Kirkintilloch (and died 30 Jun 1826) to parents Andrew Rochead and Mary Smellie. I cannot find the correct James Forrest yet.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 July 07 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks murray61.

Yes, I am researching a much earlier period.  The James Forrest I'm interested in, and his widow, died before Poor Relief came in to existence so it seems I can ignore Ann's suggestion.

Are the NAS records you mention available at the Mitchell or would I need to visit Edinburgh?

-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 July 07 22:27 BST (UK) »
Tom,
I just noticed your post too.
Yeh, this all confused me for a long time.  The records regarding marriage of James and Janet have been misinterpreted.  I've actually got a request in to get it amended.
I've confirmed his death on 14/2/1824 at age 73 making his birth 1750 /51.
1826 is the death date of Janet.  The surname of Rochead has many variations such as Rocheid, Roughead, Roughhead, Rochet and on it goes, hence your difficulty in tracing the other children.
Thanks for your effort but it appears you may be trying to follow routes I've already sussed out.
I treid to make it clear in my original post what I had done to . sort of duplication of effort so sorry if you've gone to too much bother.
Andrew Rochead and Mary Smellie are indeed Janet's parents and I have the birth record from the OPR.

Where I need the help is in tracing the correct James Forrest and hence, his parents. 

Dave   
-------------------