Author Topic: Sparkes  (Read 1375 times)

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sparkes
« on: Thursday 12 July 07 01:16 BST (UK) »
I am researching a family history for a friend of mine who is ill and I am having great trouble with his grandmother, Ellen Sparkes, married George Scott Nisbet in Wellington, NZ in 1903. She was born in Wellington New Zealand in 1880 and I would love to find out more about her for his history.
I know she had sisters Lucy and Lizzie (Elizabeth?) and brothers Samuel and Frederick
I have sent for her death certificate of 1952 and really thought that would solve the mystery of who her parents were.
As my friend is so sick, I have quietly paid for the certificate myself and have come out with nothing for my $20, so am appealing to those who will know better than I to find this elusive lady's ancestry.
I will also post this on the New Zealand board
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline jeune-romantique

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 July 07 09:31 BST (UK) »
If you get the Marriage Certificate it should say her parents names. Or, alternatively, her Birth Certificate. The Birth will say her parents ages and birthplace, while the Marriage will only say the parents names (Ellen's parents that is). If Ellen's Birth Certificate brings up nothing then try the siblings (although, as you know, it costs money).

You probably already know this though. But that's all I can help you with.
Cole/Hayden - Chilbolton, Hampshire, England
Higgins - Pembrokeshire, Wales
Popham - Bideford, Devonshire, England
Burness - Fordoun, Kincardineshire, Scotland
Troy - Ireland
Christie - Scotland
Campbell - Scotland
Ross - Scotland
Brand - Fordoun, Kincardineshire, Scotland
Watson - Scotland
Rundmann - Taschendorf, Prussia, Germany
Schonfeldt - Prussia
Gurowski - Prussia
Martin - Cork, Ireland
Roberts - Yorkshire, England
Kemp - England

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 July 07 20:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply - I have now actually come up with Ellen's parents names as someone in New Zealand discovered what ship her parents emigrated on and Ellen was born here, and i have been able to go back to a Martin and Mary (nee Maloney of Ireland) Sparkes in the Greater London area, such as Ealing, Camberwell, Romford and Brentford, I have not been able to find their parents Her death certificate disappointingly simply stated under "names of parents" - "Sparks" - it was even spelt wrongly.
Thank you for your reply.
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline jeune-romantique

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 July 07 03:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply - I have now actually come up with Ellen's parents names as someone in New Zealand discovered what ship her parents emigrated on and Ellen was born here, and i have been able to go back to a Martin and Mary (nee Maloney of Ireland) Sparkes in the Greater London area, such as Ealing, Camberwell, Romford and Brentford, I have not been able to find their parents Her death certificate disappointingly simply stated under "names of parents" - "Sparks" - it was even spelt wrongly.
Thank you for your reply.

Anytime, just wish I could have helped more. What first attracted me to your post is I have some SPARKES cousins (a few times removed and by marriage ;)). Here's the information I have on them:

Henry SPARKES
B: 1814
M to: Harriet NICHOLS (Baptism: 10 July 1837 - Hobart, Tasmania, Australia)

The above had 10 children.

This Henry SPARKES, or his parents/grandparents, most probably came over from England, or somewhere is in the UK. Perhaps there is a link with those you are researching.
Death Certificates are tricky things, I've found. Sometimes a neighbor, who mightn't really know the deceased, fills out the form with their name. I have a Mary Ann Eliza COX, who might be named Alice!
Good luck!
Cole/Hayden - Chilbolton, Hampshire, England
Higgins - Pembrokeshire, Wales
Popham - Bideford, Devonshire, England
Burness - Fordoun, Kincardineshire, Scotland
Troy - Ireland
Christie - Scotland
Campbell - Scotland
Ross - Scotland
Brand - Fordoun, Kincardineshire, Scotland
Watson - Scotland
Rundmann - Taschendorf, Prussia, Germany