Author Topic: Re Catharine Johnston  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Scott1940

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re Catharine Johnston
« on: Sunday 15 July 07 14:56 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about the children of John Fraser and Catherine nee Johnston(e)  b 1831 Knockbain,  married about 1856

Yvonne

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron-Urquart
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 07 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvonne

I've got a book of inscriptions from Urquhart Old Churchyard. There's a entry for a John Cameron of Braes of Dunvournie (which is in the parish of Urquhart & Logie Wester) who died 17 Oct 1872, his wife Catherine MacLennan died 27 March 1908. Their children are listed as follows:

Catherine died 1 May 1881
Roderick died 27 March 1922
Christina died in Inverness 19 May 1912
Margaret died 8 August 1884
Alexander died 7 January 1914 (interred at Rockford, Ill, USA)

On the base of the stone it says that it was erected by their daughter Jessie.

I realise that the maiden name for Catherine (John's wife) doesn't tally with the information you've got, but I thought it would be worth posting as the children's names look so similar. Does this sound like they could be yours?

Happy searching!
Lynn

Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline Scott1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 07 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Lyn,

Thank you spo much for the information.  I am sure it is the right family, the only child missing is John b 1865, so perhaps he was still living.  Catherine's maiden name was Johston but records are sometimes wrong.

Catherine Johnston gave birth to my gt grandfather George Petrie  in Knockbain, father John Petrie, but they never married, though his christening is in the parish records and he was brought up by Catherine's parents.  She was a servant to  farmer Donald Cameron, so I am presuming she married  a relation

Thanks again

Yvonne

Offline sandwellsaddler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 June 08 11:00 BST (UK) »
chortle girl, where did you get that book, because i have at least , 4 cameron graves in the old  urquhart cemetry, which i could do with some help locating

alex

Offline mariotcameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 July 08 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvonne,

This is my first time here ... I was looking information related to John Cameron married to Catherine on June 6th, 1856 at Knockbain. Father of Alexander Cameron, born Sept. 30, 1864 in Braes of East Kinkell (Information extracted from the Parish of Urquhart & Logie Wester).

Alexander Cameron emigrated to Chile around 1887 and died there.

Do you think, we are talking about the same John Cameron?

Thanks

Mario

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 July 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
hi there, from familysearch the children of John Cameron and Catherine Maclennan are as follows - also including a John Cameron born 1865...

JOHN CAMERON     Spouse:     CATHERINE MCLENNAN  Marriage: 25 FEB 1854 Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

CHRISTIAN CAMERON       03 JUN 1855   Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
RODERICK CAMERON        26 OCT 1856   Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
MARGARET CAMERON      20 JAN 1859   Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
ALEXANDER CAMERON    08 JAN 1861   Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland   
CATHERINE CAMERON     22 SEP 1862   Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
JOHN JAMES CAMERON  14 JUN 1865   Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland