Author Topic: info on stephen and mary  (Read 1122 times)

heaross

info on stephen and mary
« on: Tuesday 17 July 07 10:31 BST (UK) »
hi everyone, you were a great help to me before, so i'm going to ask you to help me again. the only info i have is that stephen reid and mary mcqueen  had a daughter mary in about 1859 who married in glasgow age 20 0n 7/11/1879 to a john anderson, but it's stephen and mary i'm trying to get info on. canyou help ????

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: info on stephen and mary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am guessing you got Mary's parents names off her marriage cert. Do you have Mary on the census after her marriage? If so, where does it say she was born? This would help to narrow down her birth and therefore her parents place of marriage.

Susan
Flucker, Rutherford, Linton all Newhaven, Leith Scotland
Dixon...North Sheilds and Barrow in Furness
Green...Durham and Barrow in Furness
Duffy...Edinburgh
Mangan...Edinburgh and County Cavan , Ireland
Galligan..Edinburgh and County Cavan, Ireland

heaross

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 22:24 BST (UK) »
as far as i can gather from the mary reid was born about 1859 her parents from the marriage cert.were stephen reid and mary mcqueen but i can't find them on a census

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This death is on Scotlands people and looks like it could be your Mary. If you got this you could double check the parents names to check they match off the marriage..i have a few where they are wrong on one or the other.

Mary Reid  age 45 
Other surnames McQueen and Anderson

Cathcart, Lanark, Renfrew. 1905

Were Mary's parents still alive when she got married? And what was her fathers occupation?

Susan
Duffy...Edinburgh

heaross

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 16:13 BST (UK) »
hi mary anderson who died in 1905 would have been the great grandmother and mary reib nee  mcqeen would have been her mother who was married to stephen reid . i'll check it out and let you know. both mary's parents were still alive at time of marriage in1879

heaross

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 07 13:26 BST (UK) »
hi susan, sorry it took so long to get back to you again. mary anderson who died in 1905's parents were stephen reid and mary mcqueen who were both alive when mary married. i have no informatoin on mary and stephen at all. any info would be gratefully received.

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 07 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

What was Mary's husbands, John, occupation on their marriage cert? Was is bootmaker? Been trying to find Mary in the census just after marriage to narrow down where she born..this will make it easier to trace her birth and parents.

I have found this couple on the 1881

John Anderson...head..age 25...brn glasgow..bootmaker

Mary Anderson..wife..age 24..brn Glasgow...White cotton weaver

Living at 16 Brown St, Glasgow Barony, Lanarkshire

Parish Glasgow Barony, ED 6, line 23

If this does not match let me know and i will look again. Have tried search for a marriage of a Stephen/Steven Reid to a Mary McQueen and not had any luck. Marys birth cert might give more clues

Susan

Duffy...Edinburgh

heaross

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 07 16:06 BST (UK) »
john and mary's marriage was in1879 and mary's parent stephen and mary reid m/s mcqueen he was a coal miner this is quite confusing john anderson's parents were walter anderson railway guard and mary mcbeth formerly anderson m/s walker, but one of the witnesses at john and mary's marriage was an elizabeth mcbeth. i found john and mary on the 1881 census at govan lanark scotland dwelling 47 mclean street, which is mary's address on the marriage cert..

heaross

« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 August 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
the family you found for me weren't the right ones. the ones i wanted  were mary and john anderson (woodsawyer) residing in 47 mclean street, but i still haven't found out anything about stephen reid and mary walker. they are proving to be a bit of a mystery. have you any more ideas?