Author Topic: Clay's of Bournemouth  (Read 2426 times)

Offline kapajoy51

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Clay's of Bournemouth
« on: Sunday 12 December 04 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the family  Clay  in the Bournemouth area, in respect to the lemon Family. Any info would help.
Cairns, Gale, Hawes, Holyoake, Joynes, Major, Moss, Portlock, Turner, Wilkins, Young

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Clay's of Bournemouth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 December 04 20:41 GMT (UK) »

hi  kapajoy, i live in Bournemouth and work on the West Cliff in a hotel where i suppose these two were boarding or on holiday in 1901...

Arthur L Clay 60 b Hackney retired Bengal Civil Service

Edith Clay 53 b Highgate 

Both boarding no hotel name but in 1901 this area was hundreds of small guest houses which later became larger hotels.

regards cheryle.f

And also  Henry s Clay 21 b Torquay Devon  Hotel cook 
And also Richard c Clay 11 b Forant Salisbury Pupil at Shaftesbury Lodge Poole Road Branksome Bournemouth 

1891 Census...........
M Clay 53 b Mansfield Notts  Draper boarding at Westcliff Gardens Bournemouth
George E Clay 16 Patient Formerly Clerk b Warickshire Birmingham living at Herbert Home Alumhurst Road Bournemouth
Muriel Brous Clay 24 b Rugby Warickshire visiting Lindsey Grange Lindsey Road Parkstone

1881 Census.......
Eliabeth P Clay 48 Head b Berrick on Tweed Northumberland
Jessie Clay        30 Sister b   "        "        "           "
Living Ravensdowne Queens Road St Peters Bournemouth

Jane Clay 37 Gen Assist Verona Villas Avenue Road St Peters Bournemouth

Mirk Gray 25 Head Nurse b Thetford Norfolk Living  Southcliff Sussex House St Peters

regards cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 December 04 22:08 GMT (UK) »
 Hi again....before i carry on i would just like to say how pleased i am that you asked for help as it is not very often that i spend time looking at the census's for the cliff top areas. All of the previous info i posted for you may look like there is some distance between  them when in fact you can walk between all those addresses in about 20 minutes. My gggrandmother had been missing before her marriage but because i was looking for a link between your Clays and Lemons  i have found her working in the next house along to charlotte(info below)she was a parlour maid. Even her son of 84 didnt know if she had ever worked in hotels or in service so he couldnt help me and even though i live in this area it would have been like looking for a needle in a big haystack.I am thrilled  to have found her this evening and any more help i can give you please do not hesitate to ask...now back to you. The only home born Clay from all the previous info was Jane and no other Clays show up in Hampshire so i looked for Lemons and found.......

1881 Census....Charlotte Lemon 34 b Middlesex visitor
  Fernhill Branksome Wood Road St Peters (again within the 20 minutes walking distance)

she is the first one i have found so i'll keep looking  best wishes cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 December 04 22:33 GMT (UK) »
 Hello again not much this time....1891.......

Annie Lemon 6 b not known boarder
   St Catherines House Admiralty Road Southbourne

Joseph M lemon 22 b Buckingham lodger Florists Assist
  West Hill Road Bournemouth 
  (which is where i work!) 

May Lemon 17 b christchurch  Hampshire nurse maid
   Living bournemouth central

No Lemons in Bournemouth 1901 that i could see

So after all that sleuthing i found no info to tie any of the lemons to the Clays during those census's except that they were all living or boarding in a very small area.
Curioser and curioser.......
               very best wishes and happy christmas

cheryle.f

Offline kapajoy51

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 December 04 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryle
Thankyou for spending time looking for the Clays & Lemons for me. I look forward to any info you may find.

Best wishes
Kay
Cairns, Gale, Hawes, Holyoake, Joynes, Major, Moss, Portlock, Turner, Wilkins, Young