Author Topic: help & advice needed  (Read 2140 times)

Offline lisachloe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
help & advice needed
« on: Sunday 12 December 04 14:38 GMT (UK) »
My husbands father was brought up by a couple called Annie Waters & Jack Wild at Victoria Rd,Askern,Doncaster,South Yorks.
They told everyone that they were married(had different surnames?) They also told everyone that they adopted my husbands father from a woman in Durham & my mother-in-law has said that they may've called him "Cecil Ernest Waters" at school.
He went in the Cold Stream Guards (don't know when but, before 1966) he married my mother-in-law around 1966 as my husband was born in 1967.
He used the name "Alan Ernest Hibbert" when he married my mother-in-law.
although most people called him "Cecil"
when he was a child he was taken up to Hetton-Le-Hall,Durham to visit family members & his 4/5 brothers who all had the same mother "Maria Hall" & it was assumed that these brothers had the surname "Hibbert" & maybe this is why he used the surname "Hibbert" from 1966 onwards.
Once they divorced in the early 1980's my husband lost all contact with his father & Jack Wild & Annie Waters.
I hope this is easier to understand, Sorry for the previous confusing post.
hibbert, Hallatt, Hepworth, Lunness, Durham.
Gomersall, Slee, Page, Rigby, Durkin.

Offline Hoppity

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Faithful Friend
    • View Profile
Re: help & advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 December 04 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi !!

Have you tried looking at the parish registers for Durham?   He may have been baptised there and it should have his real parents on the register.  This will also give you where he was actually born.  His parents marriage might be in the same area, so again you could look at the parish registers.

You also might be able to trace him and his family through the Cold Stream Guards once you know is true birth date etc.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards
Hoppity :)

Mardell - Hertfordshire
Sales - Kent and Hertfordshire
Daniels - Hertfordshire
Sutton - Kent
Stagg - Hertfordshire
Pilcher - Kent
Goldsmith - Kent

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 December 04 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisachloe

Welcome to RootsChat!

I'm sure we will be able to help you with this one.

I am having a bit of difficulty understanding exactly what you are saying in your posting though.

You say that Alan Hibbert was brought up by Jack Wild and Annie Waters and that you had thought they were his own parents - presumably you mean you didn't know their names and assumed they were Mr & Mrs Hibbert?  But before that you said his mother's name was Maria Hall.  I'm confused.  :-\

Is it correct that Alan Hibbert's wife (your mother in law) is still alive but won't tell her son about his father's background -  or am I getting mixed up again!?  :)  Are there any other family members from that generation alive?

If Alan was only born in 1934/35 there must be lots of people who remember him.

Look forward to hearing from you - hopefully we will be able to move you on a bit when a few things are clearer.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 December 04 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hallo - Step One - start with what you really know. Do you have your husbands's birth certificate? That would seem to clear up one of the contradictions.
I would sincerely suggest you take a good read through our Beginners Board as that will show you how many of these problems can be sorted.
After that I suggest "One at a Time" - One Person? When? Where?
Family history can only be gathered by working backwards from what you know. After that you can try to see what rumours may be true. Your husband's father is no older than I am - like me he may still be alive and so can be traced often by quite simple means like telephone books or voters rolls.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisachloe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 December 04 17:13 GMT (UK) »
We have tried looking for the parish records, is there a link to see these records on line for free?

Is there a chance that you can some how access school records from 1940 onwards of schools in the Askern area of Doncaster? If I could it may have details of his birth mother.

Offline Hoppity

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Faithful Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi !!

I dont think there is anything on line.  You can look on the LDS Website.  If you look in the section Family History Centres and put in Durham, it will list all the centres near you. 

You can then for a very small fee, order any parish records you want to view.  You obviously have to go to one of their centres to view but at least you can look through everything yourself.   You might see something that fits with your family.   I have managed to find a few of my family like this, but as my health is not good, sadly, I cannot do it very often.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Hoppity  :)

Mardell - Hertfordshire
Daniels - Hertfordshire
Sutton - Kent
Stagg - Hertfordshire
Pilcher - Kent
Goldsmith - Kent

Offline lisachloe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hoppity, I don't know if we will ever find my husbands father as we've heard so many different tales over the years, it's as if no one wants us to find him. I will give your suggestion a go though -fingers crossed :)

Offline Hoppity

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Faithful Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi !!

You could also have a look at this web site. 

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Leisure_in_Doncaster/Museums_and_history/Archives_and_Local_history/family_local_history/Doncaster_and_District_Family_History_Society.asp

It is the Doncaster family history society and there is a telephone number which you can ring.  They will be able to give you advice on where to find any information on the local schools etc.    You could also go along to one of their meetings.  You dont have to join, you can go along as a guest if you want to.

Kind regards.
Hoppity
Mardell - Hertfordshire
Daniels - Hertfordshire
Sutton - Kent
Stagg - Hertfordshire
Pilcher - Kent
Goldsmith - Kent

Offline lisachloe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again & i will try this link at least we may actually find his name he used up untill 1966 - still don't understand why he went into the Cold Stream Guards under one name & came out with another ???
I only live 20 miles away from Doncaster so thats a possibility for next week.