Author Topic: Emma Painter of New Forrest  (Read 1909 times)

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Emma Painter of New Forrest
« on: Sunday 12 December 04 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out anything about Emma Painter born 1838 in New Forrest.  Possibly Abbots Ann and possibly Her Father was call Joseph and Mother Mary.  The only other clue is she always said she was Irish - possibly an Irish Mother.  It has also been suggested her Mother might have been from a 'Traveller' family in the New Forrest - picking up on the Irish connection ?  Have also bee told we have Quaker ancestors and she might have been an Irish Quaker.  Any info at all would be very much appreciated.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Painter of New Forrest
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 December 04 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

This seems to be a real mixture!!

First of all, it would be helpful if we could find Emma on a census somewhere in order to confirm her birth-place. Have you any sightings of her later in life?  When did she marry? 

The parish you mention, Abbots Ann is in the north-west corner of Hampshire.  The New Forest is extra-parochial and no parish registers are included on the IGI or on BVRI2.  It is also between 10 and 20 miles from Abbots Ann, in the south-west of the county.

If the family were quakers, then you would need to look for her birth in their records.  I can't say I have ever heard of Irish Quakers, but there is a first time for everything. ;D

If she was born in 1838, then in theory her birth should be registered, but until the birthplace can be narrowed down, this could be hard to find.

If you have any further concrete information, it might help crack the problem.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk