Author Topic: BOEG - Adams Place, Southwark  (Read 1490 times)

Offline GreenwoJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking 'everywhere' for the family
    • View Profile
BOEG - Adams Place, Southwark
« on: Friday 20 July 07 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

I'm trying to locate any details on a Johannes BOEG (AKA: John Leven BOEG) who immigrated from Amsterdam to London sometime between 1801 and 1819. He was a Timber Merchant at 'Adam Place, High Street, Southwark' between 1823 and 1826 when he was declared bankrupt.

Hi children were baptised at the Grove Independent Chapel in Camberwell between 1819 and 1826, and I've been there to check their records - but they only have the baptism entries. I believe Johan died around 1830 in Southwark.

Absolutely any information or suggested next steps would be much appreciated.

Chat soon.
Greenwood, Boeg, Fernee, Walker, Urquhart

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BOEG - Adams Place, Southwark
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 July 07 14:28 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/
- have you seen his will?

For legal reasons they would not have been able to marry at a nonconformist chapel before the start of civil registration, so it is quite possible that you will eventually find the marriage in CoE records.  (Or that they did marry as nonconformists and the marriage wasn't properly recorded since such marriages weren't legally recognised at the time  :-\ )
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GreenwoJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking 'everywhere' for the family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 July 07 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,

Sorry I should have mentioned that I've got that Will and copies of the Bankruptcy announcement in the newspapers.

Your comments on the marriage are interesting, are you suggesting I should check other local CoE churches for the marriage? I'd not thought of that as I've not got a clue on the Religion side of this Genealogy stuff  ;)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chat soon.
Greenwood, Boeg, Fernee, Walker, Urquhart

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 July 07 17:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, you often see a marriage in a CoE church but baptisms in nonconformist church.  The biggest push behind the introduction of civil registration came from the nonconformist churches - as the number of nonconformists grew and particularly the number of well-off, well-educated nonconformists who didn't like having to switch churches on their wedding day!  (And for whom the issues surrounding legal illegitimacy and inheritence were much more important).

The law was originally introduced to cut down on 'fleet marriages' and the like - there were special dispensations for those of Jewish or Quaker faith, but everyone else had to marry CoE to be recognised.  There was a very sad case in The Times I saw once - a young lady who had married, had a child, and been widowed young; his will had specified his estate go to her, including any inheritance, but when his father died afterwards, leaving money to his son or 'legal heirs', the family successfully argued that neither she nor her child counted towards this.

This was because they had not been married CoE, and despite having witnesses to prove the marriage - including the minister! - by law she was an unmarried mother and her child illegitimate, and although the judge indicated his sympathy for her situation, he couldn't go against the word of law.

There was no end of opposition to the introduction of civil registration, actually, because of this - because it allowed not just nonconformists to be recognised the same as those who belonged to the Church of England, but allowed registry office marriages without church at all.  I transcribed once a long, slightly frothy op-ed in the Times of 1836 which claimed that this would destroy marriage - and that registration of births with the government would stop baptisms taking place, and that England would be overrun by the Unitarians and all manner of European immorality, and so on.

ETA: the law was Lord Hardwick's Marriage Act, 1754.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk