Author Topic: Tullyneuh, County antrim - is there such a place?  (Read 15069 times)

Offline Rodelz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tullyneuh, County antrim - is there such a place?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 July 12 05:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry,
 I forgot to mention that Jeannie Smyth was Sir Sam's Niece, his sisters daughter. James actually worked for Sam in Australia before buying his own property "Granville" near Jericho in Queensland.

Rod.

Offline Donna Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 December 13 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I realize this is from a REALLY old post.

Note to Henry Hume if you are still out there....In 1867 great grandpa Murphy left for America.  He came from County Antrim, Ballymena area.  It's also noted he was from Tullynewey.  His diary says "Cloughwater was my dwelling place".  They were farmers and since you said you lived 2 miles from the Tullynewey farm, I was wondering if Cloughwater means anything to you?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rodelz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 February 14 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Megan,
The 'tullyneuh' you are looking for is Tullynewey, a Townland about five miles NEof Ballymena.
It is in the Parish of Dunaghy, in the Barony of Kilconway and about 1 mile from Clough village.
Sir Samuel McCaughey was born on a farm there ( I have 1835)
Much has been recorded on his and his Wilsom Uncle's work in Australia.
Sir Samuel donated a warplane to Britain for WW2
Presently I am trying to  find a connection with McFetridge  or Smyth with McCaughey.
A James Mcfetridge b 1872 Ballymena married a Jeannie Smyth (Rasharkin) b 1888 emmigrated to Australia and had a daughter Anna McCaughey McFetridge born  29Nov 1909 in Rockhampton, Queensland.

I live only 2 miles from the Tullynewey farm

Regards
Henry Hume

Hi Henry, Anna McCaughey McFetridge was my mother, she married my father, Arthur Ronald Atkins back in the 30's and she passed away in 1972, a victim of cancer. She had four sons, Robert, David, Warren and myself Rodney. She also had a daughter, Moira. Moira and I are the only surviving children, Moira is 80 this year and I will be 69. Sir Samuel was my Great Grand uncle, My Grandmother Jeannie Smyth was his niece born to his sister Anna.

Sincerely,
Rod Atkins