Author Topic: what did gt gt gt gt grandad do  (Read 672 times)

wileman 121

what did gt gt gt gt grandad do
« on: Saturday 21 July 07 09:13 BST (UK) »
hi someone just found my x4 gt grandad in the 1851 census working in a alkali factory and i was wondering as i have never heard this before what would he have done  :)

he was working in bristol in 1851 were there any major factories or anything in this time regards Jason :)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: what did gt gt gt gt grandad do
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 07 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

From what you've said it's impossible to know exactly what his role was in the factory. 

Alkali is used, among other things, for the manufacture of soap, which was a traditional Bristol industry. See the link below for a brief explanation of the processes used for the large-scale manufacture of alkali

http://www.frenchsoaps.co.uk/history.asp?id=692831900

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: what did gt gt gt gt grandad do
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 07 14:40 BST (UK) »
Alkali is produced mainly as Soda Ash, or Caustic Soda, and is used as a raw material for the manufacture of glass, soap, detergents, paper and alumina . In 1851 it was produced by the Leblanc Process which produced a large amount of enviromental polution due to the discharge to the atmosphere of hydrochloric acid gas. It was not a pleasant industry to work in as it involved the reaction of common salt with sulphiric acid.

See http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/journals/tcaw/11/i01/html/01chemchron.html
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk