Author Topic: Theydon Garnon, Coopersale, Essex  (Read 2806 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Theydon Garnon, Coopersale, Essex
« on: Sunday 22 July 07 06:18 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone will be able to clarify something for me.

My Hyde ancestors were from Theydon Garnon, Essex.  On occasions in census they gave the place of birth as Coopersale.

I am looking at films of Theydon Garnon Parish Church Parish Records, and they say
' Theydon Garnon, alias/otherwise Coopersale', sometimes 'Thoydon Garnon, alias/otherwise Coopersale'.

The current day school appears to be 'Coopersale and Theydon Garnon school'.
Census records appear to have Coopersale as part of Theydon Garnon.

Neither Theydon Garnon nor Coopersale appear in my map book.
Can anyone clarify this for me?
Are they one and the same? 
I have been in touch with someone at All Saints Church, Theydon Garnon, who sent me some burial records for the Church.  No mention of All Saints Church on the records I'm looking at currently.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Theydon Garnon, Coopersale, Essex
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 July 07 07:58 BST (UK) »
If you go to 'Google' and select 'Maps' and enter 'Theydon Garnon' the geography should be clarified.
Theydo Garnon, All Saints is a much older parish than Coopersale, St Alban. Essex RO on their website (google 'SEAX') catalogue of parish registers seem to acknowledge that they may overlap

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 July 07 08:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Clincher.  I have tried it before and again just now.

There appear as 2 quite separate places, close together, which I had always taken to be the case, but the information which I am looking at presently appears to regard them as one and the same.
Why should the Church be referred to as 'Theydon Garnon,  otherwise known as Coopersale'.

e.g. my 2G grandfather -

Baptism solemnized in the Parifh of Thoydon Garnon, otherwise Coopersale in the County of Essex
10 Aug 1828
Henry, son of George and Caroline Hyde
Abode Thoydon Garnon
Father's occupation Farmer's Son

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 07 08:40 BST (UK) »
I think that baptism occurred before the creation of Coopersale, St Albans as a parish separate from Theydon Garnon. I've just checked and records for Coopersale, St Albans start from 1852

Offline keldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 July 07 19:05 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that Coopersale was an alternative name for the parish.

"Theydon Garnon, the largest of the three Theydons, takes its distinctive name from the family of Gernon which held the capital manor from the 13th century. (fn. 10) From at least the late 16th century, and especially in the 18th and early 19th centuries, the parish was known also as Coopersale, (fn. 11) but this name was subsequently restricted to that northern part of the ancient parish served by the district church of St. Alban, Coopersale, consecrated in 1852. (fn. 12)"
A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4: Ongar Hundred (1956), pp. 258-62.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=15703

There is also an estate in the parish by that name.
http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/essext08a.html

Phil
historyhouse.co.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 06:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both.
Mystery solved!

So 'All Saints Church, Theydon Garnon' as it is known was the 'Parish Church of Theydon Garnon, otherwise Coopersale' in the time frame I am looking at currently.

When was a name given to rural Churches, as opposed to being called just 'Parish Church of ...' ?
Was it when there were 2 or more Churches, to avoid confusion, or did they always have a name, just not used in old records?

Margaret

Offline keldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 11:37 BST (UK) »
A parish was originally an administrative unit for ecclesiastical purposes, but became an administrative unit for local government.

All Churches in England have a dedication. Normally a Saint or Saints’ days. This Wikipedia article may help you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedication

Phil
historyhouse.co.uk