Author Topic: immigration unknown  (Read 651 times)

Offline Walksfarman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
immigration unknown
« on: Monday 23 July 07 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, :'(
I hope I'm in the right place, but could some kind person assist me and tell me where to look for ships passenger lists, I have visited the ships list and others, have looked everywhere? but have not been able to find my ancestors leaving from or going to anywhere, I'm lost, getting frustrated too.
If my ancestor Joseph MENERE & family did indeed flee France as I have said in my previous posting, I know not to which country they went to, nor do I know the ship nor the Port of departure or arrival, would some kind person inform me on how to find this information?
I know that Joseph's son William James MENERE and family were in Ireland and England, James was born in England, this is another family I cannot find passenger list for, I have searched high and low, maybe not high enough or low enough I dont know, I have spent ages looking, but so far have had no luck.
Kind regards,
Ozzyal
PS I have put my tree on Tribal pages.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: immigration unknown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 07 03:02 BST (UK) »
What time period are you looking for?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: immigration unknown
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 August 07 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ozzy Al  :)

What about posting an enquiry on the Armed Forces board on Rootschat?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,300.0.html
Someone there might be able to guide you to finding out more about Joseph's possible naval career.

As far as whether the family came from France originally, that's something you can only find out by tracing backwards.  It does get more difficult the further back you go (usually) but if you have an idea of where Joseph and Sarah married, for example, you could ask for a lookup of parish registers for that place if the marriage is not listed on the IGI (International Genealogical Index).  As Sarah was baptised in Chalfont St Peter, it's possible she also married there, as many marriages took place in the bride's home parish.

Prue