Author Topic: Joseph Dixon - Out Pauper?  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Dixon - Out Pauper?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 22:39 BST (UK) »
What do you mean, Suey?

Ellen (age 4 in 1881) is called Ellen Holmes in 1891  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 22:41 BST (UK) »
I've found them now, forgot about Ellen in '81 dim or what  ??? Ancestry on a real go slow - did ravenhair want the details?

Suey

ps - ravenhair, perhaps you could get a copy of Joseph's death cert, see what he died from - I'd guess he may have already been ill/unwell in 1881 and unable to work hence the 'out pauper' description.

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline ravenhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
Suey and Tati,

Many thanks again for your efforts!

If as you suggest, Joseph died in 1882, and Elizabeth remarried, that would account for not finding them in 1891 as Dixon.

Ellen was Joseph and Elizabeths fifth child, and on the copy of my grandfathers birth certificate she is down as Ellen Dixon, and she was unmarried when he was born, so i guess there is no way we will ever know who his real father was.

I suppose that if her mother remarried, she would not necessarily have changed her name, just as my grandfather stayed a Dixon when she married Mr Simpson (whose first name i do not know, unfortunately)

Offline Daniel Newton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 May 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ravenhair!

Just stumbled across this in my own research, and I'm glad I did!

I'm the 2x great grandson of Ellen Dixon (1876-1955) and John Henry Simpson (1878-1913). My great grandmother was Hilda May Simpson (1905-1990).

I can't find a record of Ellen and John's marriage but I think it was around 1898. They are living together as man and wife in 1901 (in Friskney), along with Albert and two other children who you are not aware of, Rose Lillian (1898-1980) and Elizabeth Ellen (b.1900). They also had another daughter, Beatrice (1902-1986) before Hilda, Henry (1908-1993) and George (1911-1991) came along.

According to the 1911 census, the family were living in Frampton, although Albert and Elizabeth are not living with them. Ellen is recorded as "Helen". The census also says that they have been married 17 years, which is clearly not the case - but may hint that John was the father of Albert.

John Henry Simpson was tragically killed by a train in 1913. Ellen went on to marry again - to William Meeds in 1923. They then relocated to Kettering, where she passed away in 1955. Henry and George moved there with her, but were frequent visitors back to Boston when I was a child. I remember Uncle Henry very well. Both my grandmother and aunt Beatrice remained in Boston, both settling in Wyberton - where I still reside.

Hope that fills in a few blanks for you. Feel free to get in touch for any more info.

Offline ravenhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 May 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Daniel!
Many thanks for the information you supplied, it certainly filled in a few blanks!
I had no idea whatsoever that there were other children, as you have probably gathered, I only knew about Hilda, Henry and George. I actually remember Hilda, and remember visiting her in a bungalow in Wyberton when I was a child. I also remember going to Kettering to visit an Aunt and Uncle, but as my nan's brothers also lived there, I am not sure who it was I visited. But I think it might have been Henry.
I suppose it is possible that John Henry Simpson was the biological father of Albert (my grandfather), but I guess there is no way of knowing for sure. I do recall my mum telling me that grandpa's dad had been killed in a tragic train accident (in Sibsey?). I think that Hilda Simpson married a Mr Scrupps, would that be correct?
I am not sure I have much information which would be useful to you, but I would be glad to share anything I do have that would help you in your research.
Many thanks for getting in touch and sharing all your info!
Carol

Offline Daniel Newton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 May 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Yep, that's correct. Hilda marrried John William Scrupps (1902-1985) and had three children; Maurice (my grandfather), Fred and Roy. Grandad and Fred still live around here, whilst Roy emigrated to Canada.

Here's an old photo of John and Hilda...

http://api.photoshop.com/home_ac73baa2501c461a8c9c44e66ee2e2ef/adobe-px-assets/d70facb12f4b4789b17694c88e14ef0d" width="397" height="308"/>

I don't remember John particularly well, but I remember Hilda very clearly. She had a wicked sense of humour and loved watching snooker... She was a really big fan of Jimmy White! You remember right about the bungalow too!

I was just a little too young to go to her funeral but it's become a bit of family folklore because a couple of her relations from Kettering came across in full cowboy attire; replete with mock six-shooters which they happily fired in the avenue! I don't suppose you would know who they were?!

Anyway, I'd love to hear about your grandfather, Albert. Did he stay around Boston or did he move away? Were he and my great grandmother close? Did he, like so many of his generation, serve in the great war? I'd be really interested to here about him.

Thanks for getting in touch. If you want any more information, I'll gladly help if I can.

All the best,

Daniel