Author Topic: Barbieston - Coylton  (Read 6052 times)

Offline honestman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barbieston - Coylton
« on: Thursday 26 July 07 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Has anyone heard of a farm called either High or Low Barbieston in the Coylton area?
I can find Barbieston on some old maps I have looked at but nothing for the other two though there are references to them in birth records etc.

Thanks

Stephen
Wagstaff,armour,neil, fulton

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Barbieston - Coylton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 July 07 11:17 BST (UK) »
hi pal,

had a wee look at the census details for barbieston.

looks like the thom family were running the farm in 1841 and indeed in 1851, there is no mention of high or low.
with the pettigrew family living in the outhouse.

by 1861 there is now mention of a barbieston mill in dalrymple and i reckon there may be houses attached to the mill.

the mcintyre family sem to have taken over the running of the farm. and there is the mention of the priests house by 1871, but still no mention of low barbieston. i concentrated my search in coyleton only, as by 1871 auchinleck is also mentioned.

so your 3 towns are coyleton, dalrymple and auchinleck.

trying to help

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline honestman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 July 07 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe,

Thanks for that information, I will have a deeper look into those three places.

Thanks for your help

Stephen
Wagstaff,armour,neil, fulton

Offline olrac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 October 08 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Stephen,

I live at Barbieston Farm. Low Coylton. Anne Thom sold part of the farm for redevelopment in 2002 and still lives on the farm as one of the five houses in the conversion. Probably a wee bit of confusion between the Low Coylton part getting mixed up with the Barbieston part. Low Coylton is basically just up the road and includes about three houses and a pub called the Low Coylton Arms which has a nice terrace for the sunny days -which we rarely see.
Any questions fire away..
Best wishes,
David

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 October 08 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hello David
and Stephen

My gtx2  grandfather came  from a family of Blairs who lived on Holms Farm Dalrymple in the 1850s. He was born at Auchinleck but I am sure I have seen Barbieston on one of his certificates too. I think it was his marriage certificate but I thought he was married at Dalrymple. I know I have seen it somewhere - I will need to check. His wife Mary Scott was a domestic servant at nearby Skeldon House and his father-in-law Charles Scott a gamekeeper nearby too.

It's a very pretty area as my OH and I discovered when researching my tree a few years ago. We stayed at the Kirkton Inn which was extremely comfortable and friendly.

It's not far away from Robbie Burns country and Mauchline comes into my researches too.

Nice to see this area of Ayrshire featured on rootschat.

Good luck with your family history. I don't know what names you are looking for?

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline olrac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 October 08 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Judy -we live in a small world. There is of course a Barbieston in Dalrymple and currently a number of addresses there such as Barbieston Courtyard  -our mail ends up there sometimes. Here comes the uncanny part. My wife and I lived at Skeldon House for 3 years and ran the country house for 2 QC`s who wanted to use the House as a place for corporate entertainment -we had a very enjoyable time there. Of course this was before we bought the house at Barbieston Farm close to Low Coylton, which has no connection to the Barbieton in Dalrymple.

Strange  how these lines cross.

Best wishes,
David

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hello David

Nice to read your reply.

I shall have to look up the other Blairs some time. i.e. David Blair's siblings. One I believe married into the Sloan family. Some kind rootschat folk looked up their descendants for me on another thread.

My husband and I loved the river Doon twisting through Dalrymple and the fishermen throwing their lines into the strong currents. Lovely place to live in that area. You really are lucky.

My gtx2 grandmother Jane Marshall was born at Kirkmichael, sometimes Crosshill on other documents. Are these places close together? Do their Parish lines merge or cross over one another?

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline olrac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Judy -Kirkmichael lies about a 15 minute drive away from Dalrymple with Croshill a wee bit further  - but all these little villages are very close to one another. I have no idea about the parish boundaries but physically they are so close they may all lie in the same one.

I caught my first salmon in the Doon at Skeldon House and the gardens in the house have to be seen to be believed -really stunning -see attached website for the house.

http://www.skeldonestate.com/

Best wishes,

David

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I will look at the link to Skeldon House.

I can taste that salmon now!

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire