Author Topic: Belfast baptismal records/lookups  (Read 1639 times)

Offline elizabetherin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belfast baptismal records/lookups
« on: Friday 27 July 07 03:39 BST (UK) »
Can someone advise me how I would go about researching the Anglican Church baptismal records.

Thanks
Elizabetherin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast baptismal records/lookups
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 07 08:49 BST (UK) »
Any idea of where in Belfast? What time period? There are quite a few Church of Ireland churches in Belfast. Many C. of I. early records were sent to Dublin for 'safekeeping' and destroyed in 1920s. Some of the C. of I records might be available on microfilm from your local LDS linrary but you would have to know the name of the church to check if they are available.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline elizabetherin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 07 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your speedy reply.  Unfortunately, I don't know what Church of Ireland, only have a year of birth of 1846.  Thought perhaps I could do an individual search if worse came to worse.

I didn't think of lds records as I have only looked to them for the census records.

Elizabetherin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 07 17:26 BST (UK) »
Any idea of where the person lived? as they might, but not always, have attended the nearest church. If it's an uncommon name and the father was in business there might be a listing in some of the Belfast directories. Also, where they are buried might be a clue.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline elizabetherin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 July 07 18:38 BST (UK) »
We haven't got that info yet as we are still trying to determine what family we belong to.  My ggrandfather James Tedford was born in 1846, supposedly Belfast (could have been surrounding area).  I am familiar with the variety of Tedford families that live in Counties Down and Antrim, just don't know which one we are related to.  I am familiar with the Tedford listings in the old Belfast directories.  Very familiar with the Tedford Chandlrey, etc. and wondered about that family as we have "family lore" about our ggrandfather arriving in Canada on the Tedford/Bedford steamship lines....info that floated around long before we ever read of James Tedford and his chandlrey.

He died in Canada in 1893.