Author Topic: Can someone untangle this family please  (Read 3281 times)

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Can someone untangle this family please
« on: Friday 27 July 07 15:38 BST (UK) »
I'm having some confusion with my husbands family. The details I've been given are:

John Dickinson, died 06.08.1847 aged 57, he came from Great Ayton and" built many of the workmans cottages between the railway and the market place in the early days of M'bro"

married to

Hannah Dickinson died 06.06.1846 aged 46.

I've just got their death certs and John is described as a joiner, living in Low Commercial Street, he is listed as such in the 1840 trade directory and on the 1841 census (kindly found by Isobelruss) he is shown as a house carpenter.
HD107 1258/4 folio 15 p24.

Hannah is described as wife of John Dickinson, shoemaker  :o. and living in Commercial Street on her death cert.

On the 1841 census there is another John and Hannah Dickinson but he is described as a labourer.

The trade directory doesn't list a John Dickinson as a shoemaker, but there is one listed as a shopkeeper.

It could be as simple as someone has found the wrong Hannah but assumed she belonged to my husbands family, I don't know where the info I was given originally came from. I can't find "our" Hannah on later censuses. (I'm more confused in my own mind as their son John was a boot and shoe maker but he was only 5 in 1841.)

Anyone got a clue or have I just confused myself?
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone untangle this family please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 07 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hannah is described as wife of John Dickinson, shoemaker :o. and living in Commercial Street on her death cert.

Who is the informant on Hannah's death certificate? Is it a photocopy of original or transcription, if the latter could husband's occupation have been read wrong?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 07 16:01 BST (UK) »
... or are you sure it's the right Hannah? Who is the informant on the certificate?

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 07 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies, it's a photocopy of the original death cert and definately says shoemaker. The informant was John Dickinson.
I'm not at all sure that it's the right Hannah, I think it's possible someone could've seen a reference to the death of this Hannah at some point and assumed it was the Hannah married to the joiner. I'll have to try and find out where the info came from.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 July 07 16:30 BST (UK) »
I've had a look in FreeBMD and there are a number of deaths of Hannah Dickinson's in Yorkshire between 1840 and 60.

I suspect that you don't have the right Hannah's certificate.

But, by golly, you have a mission picking the right one!  :-\

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 July 07 17:23 BST (UK) »
There are still some Dickinsons living in Low Commercial Street Middlesbrough in 1851.
HO107 2382 F392 p45
Elizabeth Hd 24 dressmaker b Ayton
Hannah sister 16 outdoor serv b Mbro
William bro 12 printer b Mbro
plus two lodgers
Thomas Moorsom 27 b Robin Hoods Bay
Joseph Foyston 23 both shoemakers
However these do not fit in with the 1841 census very well.
I assume that John is the one who is an apprentice in Guisbro.   Did they leave a will??
Andrea

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 July 07 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, I'm beginning to wonder where all the children were in 1841, apparently there was a John (died as a baby), James (died 1841),Sarah (died 1844), Martha (died 1844), Mary (died as a baby), Robert (died 1851), Elizabeth (died 1855) Hannah, John, William and possibly another daughter. I suppose they could've been with relatives.

There is a headstone in Great Ayton churchyard naming most of the family( with dates) except for the elder Hannah and the children who lived to adulthood. The latest date is 1857 and there is a Hannah who died Q3 1858 Stockton (the reg. district for M'bro), so she's a possibility. :-\.
I think I'll have to ignore all this info I've been given and start from scratch. :)

I don't know about a will, I'll look into it.