Author Topic: Does anyone live or work in Whitechapel  (Read 2220 times)

Offline jabawak

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Does anyone live or work in Whitechapel
« on: Monday 30 July 07 13:16 BST (UK) »
Is there an expert on Whitechapel out there? My great great grandfather was living at 28 Lemon Street when his son was christened at St George in the East in 1844. I believe it is also known as Leman street. His occupation was Inspector of Police. I have googled and found that there is a firm of solicitors at that address now. What I would really like to know is if this is likely to be the same building and if so what its history is. I hope some one can help me please, Jabawak
Northumberland, Matfin, Jobling, Hall, White, Watson, Snowball  Middlesex London, Donegan, Biddell, Butler, Woodcock, Oxford, Tasker, Eaton, Gadney. Norfolk Woodcock. Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone live or work in Whitechapel
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 07 22:38 BST (UK) »
I'm not an expert, but I have always known the street as Leman St and never Lemon St.
Your ancestor probably stationed at Leman Street Police Station which opened in 1847 at 76 Leman Street.
On the 27 March 1890 a temporary Police Station was opened at 64 Leman Street when the old Station was pulled down and rebuilt. The new Station was ready in 1891 Which although is not now a 'proper' police station is still 'active'
Leman St police station was the station in charge of the 'ripper' murders and a number of high profile cases.
Brenda

Offline jabawak

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 August 07 01:33 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply bjo. If the police station at Whitechapel opened in 1847 do you know where policemen would have been stationed in 1844? I am not even certain that he was with the Metropolitan police. All I know is this, in 1837 he is a seargent in the Police on the christening record of my grt grandfather living in Orange Street Bethnal Green. On 1841 census he is listed as policeman living in Catherine Street, St George East. In 1844 he is listed as Inspecter of Police living at 28 Lemon Street Whitechapel on the christening record of son Edward. By 1851 he is living at 59 Old Street Road and he is listed as a Barristers clerk. He is nowhere to be found on 1861. By 1869 on marriage cert of my grt grandfather his occupation is Warder Millbank prison. I have checked the records they have online for Met police but he isn't there. These only cover enlistments up to 1830. I live in Australia so can't go to Kew to search the rest. Well I will just keep trying eventually the brick wall will crumble  Jabawak
Northumberland, Matfin, Jobling, Hall, White, Watson, Snowball  Middlesex London, Donegan, Biddell, Butler, Woodcock, Oxford, Tasker, Eaton, Gadney. Norfolk Woodcock. Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 07 22:01 BST (UK) »
May be of help

1839     Force strength was 471 and its headquarters were at Guildhall.
1841     City Police Headquarters moved to 26 Old Jewry.

Researching Your London Police Ancestors

The City of London Police Records Office, 26 Old Jewry, London EC2R 8OJ possesses registers listing every member of the force since warrant numbers were introduced on 9 April 1832 together with personal files on 95% of officers who have served since that date. Write to the Museum Curator, City of London Police, 37 Wood Street, London EC2P 2NQ

Regards
Brenda (London)
http://www.cityoflondonpolicehistory.co.uk/1800.htm