Author Topic: Slevin and Gartlan families 1860's  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Don Gartlan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Slevin and Gartlan families 1860's
« on: Tuesday 31 July 07 18:00 BST (UK) »

I have ben trying to find information on my Great Grandmother Julia (Judith, Judy) Slevin for 20 years. She married my Ggrandfather James Gartlan  around 1860-1865 and had we believe at least 8 children from 1866 forward.
She died in Killabrick, Carrickmacross June 1913. Born apx 1843. They owned land in Corcuilloge from before 1860 through 1937 when Son Patrick Gartlan died and his children sold the property. I believe Patricks daughter married a Markey  from Carrickmacross. Need help on this one.  Can't locate marriage cert on them but have birth certs for most of the children but no clue where Judith came from

Thanks Don
Gartlan,Slevin,Markey,Connolly,McCoy,Callan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Slevin and Gartlan families 1860's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 18:24 BST (UK) »
As you probably know by now, civil registration of Catholic marriages only began in 1864 so if they were Catholic and married before this date you will need to find a church record, if it still exists, of the marriage. The wedding most likely took place in the bride's church which may or may not be the one she attended after her marriage. Have you searched the marriage indexes yet?
Three children to James Gartlan & Judith Slevin listed on IGI:
1. Sarah born 12 Sept.1868 Co.Monaghan.
2. Patrick born 6 Mar.1871 Co.Monaghan.
3. Ane born 5 July 1873 Co.Monaghan.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Don Gartlan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Slevin and Gartlan families 1860's
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 02:13 BST (UK) »

Aghadowey

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have checked the marriage records and none show this marriage, they are hard to read and many are unreadable so they might be there but not able to locate. They were Catholic and the records are at the local church in Carrickmacross. I went there a few years ago to check the records but they wouldn't let me see the original books only a transcription on a note pad that someone had done fairly recently.

There was an Owen Slevin in Umerafee who might have been related but that also comes to a dead end. That was the closest in Griffith's that I could find. I talked to a few Slevin families while I was there and one did remember a Gartlan connection from way back in their history but supposedly they were all dead and they couldn't give me any other info. 
I'll continue to search and maybe someone can fill some more in.

I had the 3 children you found as well as 6 others.  At least 3 came here to the United States in the 1890-1920 period  My Grandfather Joseph B-1866, Catherine B-1875 and Maggie B- 1874 . Katie and Joseph died in New York don't know about Maggie.

Patrick Gartlan B-1871 married Ellen Conlon of Carrickmacross and died in Killabrick in 1937. The rest of the family I have nothing on other than birth Certificates

Thanks again for the reply

Don
Gartlan,Slevin,Markey,Connolly,McCoy,Callan