Author Topic: ALEXANDER GEDDES ,BANFF  (Read 2555 times)

Offline sal j

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ALEXANDER GEDDES ,BANFF
« on: Friday 03 August 07 09:23 BST (UK) »
i have a census 1871, inchberry house,rothes,my gggrandfather,alexander geddes 57 salmon fisher,born grange ,banff.does this house still exist? i cant find who is father was ,any relatives out there? thankyou ,sally

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: ALEXANDER GEDDES ,BANFF
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 07 21:58 BST (UK) »
He's still there in 1881, aged 68, salmon fisher, born Rathven, wife wife Mary, 69, born Marnoch, daughter Mary, 40, born Bellie and niece Mary Smith, 49, born Bellie.

If you haven't got his death certificate, you should be able to get his parents' names from it - look on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. The index tells me that an Alexander Geddes, aged 88, died in the parish of Rothes in 1899.

It isn't possible to say whether the house still exists as it was one of several at Inchberry, not distinguished from one another in the census.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sal j

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ALEXANDER GEDDES ,BANFF
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 07 09:42 BST (UK) »
thankyou so much for your help, i will buy some credits for scotlands people,sally