Author Topic: cost of certificates  (Read 1755 times)

Offline kassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
cost of certificates
« on: Friday 03 August 07 17:10 BST (UK) »
I have sent for 12 bmd certificates so far and as I live in Canada I have to pay seven pound per certificate.  I will be coming to Wales next spring to do some reseach and have a holiday.  Where do I have to go to get copies of bmd certificates for cheaper than seven pound.  I seem to remember someone saying they get copies for 30p and as I want to get as many certificates as I can 30p is a good deal.

Kassie

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: cost of certificates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
the only source of a Cert is a Local Registry Office or the GRO - the latter is £7.00, dunno about the Locals.... if anybody can get one cheaper we'd love to know   :) :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 August 07 17:18 BST (UK) »
Local register offices also charge £7. As far as I know it's a legal requirement, so there's no way around it.

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 07 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Kassie

I wonder if you are thinking of photocopies of church registers? If you plan to visit any record offices whilst you are over here, and find anything of interest, you will be able to have a copy made for about 30 or 50p.

Although baptism and death entries won't give you as much information as a certificate, a marriage entry is always more interesting than a certificate I think, because you can actually see your ancestors handwriting on the page. Providing they could write, of course  ;D ;D! !) And they always have the same info as a certificate.

Oldtimer
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline kassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 07 20:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Newf, and Gareth.

Thanks Oldtimer I think you are right.  Darn it I thought it was to good to be true.

Kassie

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 August 07 21:50 BST (UK) »
£7 per certificate is the statuory fee and therefore the minimum.

In addition, district register offices, which are run by the local authorities and are no longer accountable to the General Register Office, have recently been given extra "well being" powers which means that they can charge more than £7 per certificate.

Devon County Council is charging £8 per certificate, Cornwall I think is £7.50 and I heard that Kent charges something like £14. I don't know of any other local authorities which charge more yet, but I'm sure others will follow.

In other words, buying direct online from GRO is best.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 August 07 22:39 BST (UK) »
I agree Grey Squirrel.  The last time I looked Sussex were charging £11 per certificate, I just go straight to the GRO now.  For the amount I have ordered that bit of extra money would soon add up!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 August 07 23:40 BST (UK) »
I hadn't realised that some local authorities were so money-grabbing  >:(

But in other areas I would always go to the local register office first. I find they are generally (especially if you go there in person) far more ready to go the extra mile to help, plus their local knowledge can be invaluable.

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 August 07 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth

I don't disagree with you but I have found my experience of the GRO to be like that, I got a certificate back recently which turned out not to be the one I was expecting, I emailed them because there were two identical ones on the same page and I wanted to know if the remaining one was the one I wanted, they searched the other one and let me know it was a duplicate of the first so that I did not order and find it the same as the one I already had!

Very helpful  :)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....