Author Topic: Paronstown Co Offlay/King's County  (Read 6380 times)

Offline suehosford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paronstown Co Offlay/King's County
« on: Saturday 04 August 07 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to trace the baptism of a Bernard Kenny born around 1834 in Birr/Parsonstown.  I know that his parents were Bernard Kenny and Ellen from the details held in the English parish register for his marriage in 1856.  I have actually visited the church in Birr, but there were limited parish registers there.  I also visited the council offices to check the cemetary records for either Bernard or Ellens death but was advised that if they did not purchase a plot it would be difficult to find.

I suspect that Bernard born in 1834, possibly had two brothers, one called Michael born around 1831 and possibly one called John.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sue

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Paronstown Co Offlay/King's County
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 07 16:52 BST (UK) »
I also visited the council offices to check the cemetary records for either Bernard or Ellens death but was advised that if they did not purchase a plot it would be difficult to find.

In the towns people maybe tended to be buried in Cemeteries, especially as some churches had no burying ground, but in the country and smaller towns it would probably have been more common for a family to use a church burying-ground. You mentioned visiting the church and if there was a graveyard attached to it I'm sure you checked for a headstone but many families did not have headstones. Might be worth asking if there's a map of burial plots. Also, ask where else people in the area might have been buried as there might be a small, old graveyard somewhere about.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline suehosford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 07 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for that.  However when we visited the church it was the gentleman at the church who told us that all the people were buried in the town cemetary and it was he who directed us to the council offices.

Sue

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 07 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thought you would have asked when you were at the church but are there any burials there?
If I've read you initial post correctly you would like to locate graves of Bernard & Ellen. As their son was born c1834 they were probably born c1814 or earlier. Add on 70+ years and you get a date of +/-1884. Am wondering how far back the town cemetery goes. If the Council is in charge do they have any records of who is buried there or who purchased plots?
Is there a local historical group? If so, they would be the ones to ask about local burials.

Offline suehosford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 August 07 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the ideas.  I have been thinking along the same lines, but as the information is so sketchy I feel I ought to do a little more digging before asking the council to go through their records.

I think maybe on my next visit to Dublin I will go through the deaths at the Registry Office.

Sue

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 07 18:13 BST (UK) »
Many councils have now computerised their cemetery records so it might be worth phoning and asking for a look up, although if not on computer entries might be by date of burial.

Offline suehosford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I might try that.  Three years ago the lady at the council offices did say that I could e-mail her with the details, so I might try that.

Sue

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 16:58 BST (UK) »
If you do get in touch with the council office make sure you ask also for the names of anyone else buried with them (the person responding might not think to check that and it could be other family members that you might not be aware of).