Author Topic: Patrick O'Sullivan / Mary O'Shea  (Read 8172 times)

Offline Denis Horan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Patrick O'Sullivan / Mary O'Shea
« on: Tuesday 14 December 04 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information about my great grandparents Patrick O'Sullivan and Mary O'Shea. They moved to Dingle in the 1900s but either or both were originally from near Killarney, possibly Glen Flesk. They were married shortly before 1900 and had 10 children, the second of which Denis (b. Jun 1901) was my grandfather.

I know Patrick and Mary's mothers were Margaret McCarthy and Jane Flynn, but I don't know which one was the mother of which - I suspect Margaret was Patrick's mother and Jane was Mary's.

Vague, I know, but would really appreciate any help.

Offline Denis Horan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick O'Sullivan / Mary O'Shea
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 13:14 GMT (UK) »
PS I have information on their children and grandchildren if of interest.

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Denis,

I am interested in Mary O' Shea. My Great Grand Mother was Hanora O' Shea and I believe she was from Kerry. I don't have much information for that side of the family. I only have a name to go by. I dont even know if Hanora O' Shea had any siblings.

I would be interested in any Information you have on Patrick O' Sullivan too. As far as I am aware my Grand Father James O' Sullivan was an only child and I dont know who his father was.

That sounds confusing now, to clear it up, My Grand Mother was Mary O' Connor and her mother was Hanora O' Shea and I know nothing of the O' Sullivans

Any info you have might be a help.

Regards

Alan
Moore, Kiernan, O' Sullivan, O' Connor
Other names I know of are:
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan

Offline Denis Horan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

My great-grandmother Mary O'Shea/ Shea was one of 6 children. One of her sisters was Nora (?Hanora), who went to America. Mary was born 1880, Nora was younger.

Patrick O'Sullivan and Mary had 10 children, one of whom was called James, but as your James was an only child, this wouldn't match.

Have you any more information? You can email me directly at (*).

Denis

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
I dont think the Hanora (Nora) is the same one, Hanora was my Great Grand Mother and she lived in Ireland all her life.

The James O' Sullivan might be of use to me thought. My Grandfather James O' Sullivan was an only child but was born in 1910. It is possible that James could be my Great Grand Father or Great Great Grand Father. Do you have any more information on that James O' Sullivan by any chance.

Thanks for the response.

Alan
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan

Offline Denis Horan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 10:19 BST (UK) »
I do have more information. The James O'Sullivan I have was born 1905 Dingle, and died 1956 Dublin having lived in the UK for a while. As your James was born in 1910, I don't think it is the same person.

It is possibly your James is a cousin or something, but I haven't any details if that is the case.

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help anyway, I think it is going to be hard to trace that side of the family with very little records. I have traced my dad's side back to 1800, it would be nice to be able to trace my Mum's side back that far too to balance out the tree.

Thanks again

Alan

Offline Blitzen72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if it will help, but I came across a lot of O'shea's in the Boulaghsallagh area of Killarney,Kerry while researching my family line...... Some are on the 1901 census. The spelling has subsequently changed to Boolasallagh.

Offline Bob Shea

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 March 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if there is any connection here my garndfather Dennis John Shea (O'Shea) born 20 may 1892 Portmagee,Kerry,Ireland sister Mary O'Shea married to a O'Sullivan I'm in contact with her grandson Paul O'Sullivan his mother is Johanna/Joan O'Sullivan one of Dennis brothers John died in significant fishing tradedy accident in 1908 Valentia Island,Portmagee,brother Jim O'Shea was well known for his role in the irish war of independence,but he left ireland about 1927 to join his sisters in San Francisco - he died at a young age around 1941,The only one of Dennis’ surviving siblings who continued to live in Ireland, and in Portmagee, was Patrick ‘Patsy’ O’ Shea who survived to a good age and died in the mid-70s – a well-known and respected personality in these parts.