Author Topic: The Welsh Regiment 1900  (Read 922 times)

Offline jchooker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Welsh Regiment 1900
« on: Saturday 04 August 07 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Looking for info regarding my GGrandfather Wesley john Card,He served in the Welsh regt around 1900  spent time in India and settled in Mountain Ash Glamorgan,He's seated bottom right in photo,
Thanks for your time,
Julian Card

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: The Welsh Regiment 1900
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 07 14:32 BST (UK) »
I would say the photo is a lot later then 1900, it could be from the First World War

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 07 14:37 BST (UK) »
The Second Battalion of the Welch Regiment served in Madras from 1892-1906.
The Army Rugby Football Union was the brain child of a Welch Regiment officer but the strip shown is not that of the Regiment but perhaps of a company.
I would also place the photo at about 1912-1919.

The person referred to is a Sergeant and has a badge on his left arm which cannot be seen.

The 5 men in uniform are not all from the same regiment as one can see at least 3 different hat badges. It is even hard to see if any of them are the distinctive Prince of Wales feathers.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jchooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 07 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks all ,
My father informed me that he saw a photograph of his Grandfather and there was  a crown on his sleeve any ideas,
Thanks again,
Julian

Offline jchooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 07 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Ive just got hold of my Ggrandfathers military records from the ancestry website he joined the regt in cardiff 1890 served in malta and india with the 2nd battalion,then transferred to the 1st as a sergeant in 1899 and sent to south africa for 3 years he was then called into the reserves in 1914,his service number is 2756, if anyone can add any more info about the regiment around these times please do.
Many thanks,
Julian