Author Topic: Divorce Records  (Read 807 times)

Offline Rosey102342

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Divorce Records
« on: Monday 06 August 07 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Has anyone any ideas on if/how I can obtain details on a divorce from the late 1920s?

My great uncle, Stanley Rose, divorced around this time, if I could find out what the circumstances/grounds for the divorce were it may help answer a few questions about what became of him afterwards. He married & had been living with his wife in India in the early 20s and they had two young children. However, in 1929 his wife remarried in the UK, the marriage certificate states she's a divorcee. It appears the two children were 'adopted' by their stepfather.

Stanley 'disappeared' around this time, the last trace I've found of him is setting sail for Sri Lanka in 1927! His kid brother is still with us (now in his late 80s), he's helped a lot with my family research and I'd like to repay him by finding out what became of his elder brother, he's keen to know.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Divorce Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 07 22:11 BST (UK) »
See Divorce Records in England and Wales after 1858 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=53&j=1

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosey102342

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 07 22:33 BST (UK) »
Stan

Thanks, just had a look at this.

Offline ModelCitizen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hey,

Have you tried some of the www.ukcertificates.com ?
Worked brilliantly for me, when I was looking for my  paternal Grandfather. (He and my Nan got divorced when my Mum was still a child.)
You have to pay but you can access divorce records since 1858. They check a ten year period, so even if you aren't to sure on the dates it gives you a good chance of finding something.....

Good Luck!