Author Topic: daft question - is there an index of English births?  (Read 2707 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: daft question - is there an index of English births?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 August 07 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

If the record you find is an extracted record, ie from the parish registers, you will see a reference number come up down at the bottom of the page, something like C106657.  If you click on this and put the surname into the surname box on the next page and submit you will get a page of all the people with that surname baptised around that time at the same church. 

Or alternatively you can use the Hugh Wallis site.

Kerry :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 August 07 09:09 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 August 07 09:30 BST (UK) »
Great stuff, that's just what I need!

Love the middle names search too.

Loads of thanks Kerry

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 August 07 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for suggestions, Celia. I do know there are gaps though. I was puzzled that one of my families consisted of only girls and then found from the OPR film that all the boys had been missed out, no idea why.

On the subject of the IGI, is there an easy way to find siblings? I used to do it this way: once I had found one child, I  used to put the parents names in, a year range of +/- 20 years, the correct surname in the Last Name box and then a * in the First Name box. That used to get me all the siblings of a family and was a brilliant tool. Now if you try that you get a warning message about not using punctuation marks and it doesn't work anymore.

So is there another way of finding siblings if you don't know their names, does anyone know?

1 - there are many IGI batches containing girls only - no-one seems to know why  ???  ???
2. IGI parent search - If you input the parent names (must have surname for father) and years and location and omit completely name of person, you will get all children to those parents (and they do not have to be in the same batch - and, of course, could be multiple families with the same named parents).

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 August 07 09:41 BST (UK) »
Pure genius! Worked a treat - new sibling found right away (no boys though  ;))

How great is that? Many many thanks

Jo