Author Topic: Topic placement query  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Nantwich-Newsagent

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Barony born Dabber
    • View Profile
Topic placement query
« on: Thursday 16 August 07 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just placed a request for a bit of help with my John Pascall of 1664 (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,250461.0.html)
and having done it am a bit confused as to the difference between posting in the 'county forum' (in this case Shropshire) and in its child 'Board' for 'look-ups' (in this case - Shropshire Lookup Requests, Shropshire Census and Resource Lookup Requests).

As my request was for general help rather than a specific 'look-up' (I think!) and is pre-Census have I put it in the wrong place? Should it have gone in general Shropshire?

Even if it doesn't really matter, I'd be interested to know the difference in purpose between the two different posting areas.

Incidentally I did click on 'Help' and got a 'lost page' message.

I see the topic that got me interested in RootsChat (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,111938.0.html) was a similar request to mine & placed straight into the 'county forum'.

Just a little confused - NN
Pascall, Paschal, Proctor, Oakes, Heath, Atherton, Cooke, Sumner, Latham, Pickering, Redfern, Gresty, Hall, Salmon, Daniels, Wood, Minshall, Bebbington, Burgess, Ravenscroft, Blackmore, Dean, Ellis, Woodfield, Bourne, Wild, Nunelly, Bettley, Potts, Forster, Booth, Asten, Moumfield, Bebbington, Jones, Huxby, Johnson, Thomas, Wilkinson, Barker, Amerie, Whalley, Caldey

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Topic placement query
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 August 07 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi NN

The Mods can always move a post if it is made in the "wrong" place, so don;t worry too much about that.

I would say that if you are asking others to refer to specific records to solve your problem, it is a Look-Up Request.

If you are asking about buildings, traditions, the origins of a name in the county etc - that would go on the County board.

A similar request that is not county-specific could go on the Country board or the Common Room.

It is all open to interpretation and sometimes the Mods catch each other out, by moving threads backwards & forwards!!  (Well, it has been known!)  ;D

Welcome to Rootschat and I hope you enjoy the site

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Barony born Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 August 07 15:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Arranroots,

Your response pleases me on several levels -

Unlike a recent query to eBay which eventually spanned many emails and even then produced no resolution to a straightforward question,

You have answered my enquiry.
The answer makes sense and is clear.
If users do make errors they are supported.
I know I'm dealing with a real person! And a nice one at that!!

Best regards - NN
Pascall, Paschal, Proctor, Oakes, Heath, Atherton, Cooke, Sumner, Latham, Pickering, Redfern, Gresty, Hall, Salmon, Daniels, Wood, Minshall, Bebbington, Burgess, Ravenscroft, Blackmore, Dean, Ellis, Woodfield, Bourne, Wild, Nunelly, Bettley, Potts, Forster, Booth, Asten, Moumfield, Bebbington, Jones, Huxby, Johnson, Thomas, Wilkinson, Barker, Amerie, Whalley, Caldey

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 August 07 15:15 BST (UK) »
Happy to help, NN  8)

Thanks for bearing with us about the Help Pages - they are undergoing a looooooooong process of updating!

:)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 07 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi NN,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I'm one of those responsible for updating the help pages.  As Arranroots says, it's taking longer than we thought, because of various technical problems and other commitments (we are all volunteers here), so may I just point you, and others, to a "stop-gap" we made, which provide links to topics which answer various questions:

Topic: RootsChat Topics: How to use RootsChat / FAQs
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,207046.0.html

It's not 'all-inclusive', so if you don't find an answer there, feel free to post a new question   :)

Enjoy RootsChat,
Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 August 07 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi NN

Sorry to butt in on your topic but I noticed that you had 'Ravenscroft' in your Surname List. My hubbies rellies came from Nantwich area and was wondering if there was any connection?  His ggrandad was Edward Ravenscroft who married Elizabeth Merrill.  They had Henry and Frank and another possible son has just appeared but am still checking him out. Edward was born c 1848. 

Look forward to hearing from you, Crystal.
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Barony born Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 August 07 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Crystal,

Good to hear from you - have set up a new topic to deal with this at

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,250796.0.html

Hope you find
"Ravenscrofts of Nantwich, Wharton & Winsford" of interest -
might stimulate some others' interest too.

Best regards - NN