Author Topic: Ravenscrofts of Nantwich, Wharton & Winsford  (Read 14738 times)

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ravenscrofts of Nantwich, Wharton & Winsford
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi NN

Hope you are okay, I'm off work at moment recovering from cold/ chest infection so thought I'd have a quick chat with you as not spoke for a while.

How's your tree going?  I'm still searching and hoping!  Glad you found all those rellies - can't believe how many you found, bet you were delighted.  Have you now got some 'new' brickwalls?  I have had 1 breakthrough (I think), not sure if i've said already that I could not find John on the 1841 Census - well, think I have now found him mistranscribed as John Ravencroft age 25, wife Elizabeth age 30 and daughter Sarah age 10, his occupation is given as a joiner - what do you think?  Sounds as if its him to me - the ages for him and Elizabeth match along with his occupation, the only problem is that at the moment I cannot find anymore details for daughter Sarah - am thinking that maybe Elizabeth was married before and its her daughter - clutching at straws here!!

Have still not got any precise detail on John and Thomas - someone has checked parish registers for Nantwich and Wybunbury for me and no record of John's baptism or marriage to Elizabeth, so its been suggested that maybe John came to Willaston looking for work from another area.  I meant to ask you before about your info in message dated 14 Sept - you mentioned some info on the web about John from Newton area and that you had emailed for some details, did anything come of this?  Have not seen this info anywhere. It would be nice if mine matched the info you gave there, its a possiblilty but I need to find out where my John came from - he's a right pain - keep thinking I must be missing something somewhere.  The only deaths I have come across so far for John before 1851 and in his age group are 1848 Northwich and 1849 Middlewich.  Jayson who has been helping me with lookups has found a Thomas in the Middlewich area with a son John and is checking it out for me, don't know if this ties in with yours at Middlewich?

Better go, let me know what you think and if you've had any more discoveries and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Crystal

PS Nearly forgot - although stuck on the Ravenscrofts, I've had some good luck with my own tree on my mum's side.  Thought we knew that they had all stayed in nearly same area in Fradswell and Stowe in Staffs but have found that my gggrandad ended up with one of my gguncles about 5 miles away from where i live now (have actually been in the same house about 10yrs ago!) and have found 1 of my mum's cousins who she lost contact with over 50 yrs ago - found him on  here actually - so really pleased with that.

Bye.
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline Nantwich-Newsagent

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Barony born Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 October 07 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Crystal,

Good to hear from you. Regarding John, my rule of thumb is that if you get 2 identifying links its probably right, 3 its fairly certain.

Unfortunately my 'link' with John & Newton has not got back to me so I cannot help to move this line of enquiry forward.

Will be back in touch when I have something new to add.

Best regards,

NN
Pascall, Paschal, Proctor, Oakes, Heath, Atherton, Cooke, Sumner, Latham, Pickering, Redfern, Gresty, Hall, Salmon, Daniels, Wood, Minshall, Bebbington, Burgess, Ravenscroft, Blackmore, Dean, Ellis, Woodfield, Bourne, Wild, Nunelly, Bettley, Potts, Forster, Booth, Asten, Moumfield, Bebbington, Jones, Huxby, Johnson, Thomas, Wilkinson, Barker, Amerie, Whalley, Caldey

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Barony born Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 October 07 21:18 BST (UK) »
Crystal,

My apologies, omitted to say
how I hope you're feeling better.

Best regards,

NN
Pascall, Paschal, Proctor, Oakes, Heath, Atherton, Cooke, Sumner, Latham, Pickering, Redfern, Gresty, Hall, Salmon, Daniels, Wood, Minshall, Bebbington, Burgess, Ravenscroft, Blackmore, Dean, Ellis, Woodfield, Bourne, Wild, Nunelly, Bettley, Potts, Forster, Booth, Asten, Moumfield, Bebbington, Jones, Huxby, Johnson, Thomas, Wilkinson, Barker, Amerie, Whalley, Caldey

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 October 07 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi NN

Thanks for your last message and am feeling much better now thanks.

I have some new info on John and Thomas!!  at last.  Jayson has been doing some lookups for me (on Cheshire Lookups if you want to see if anything matches up with yours) and after I made a contact on GR has come up with the following info - Thomas married Catherine Hewitt in 1807 and they had George 1810, Anne 1813, JOHN 1815, Hannah 1817 and Thomas 1820 all in the parish of Acton.  He also found baptisms for John 1774, James 1776 and Thomas and margaret 1779 (twins),children of John and Margaret, think John is Thomas's father.  This seems a definate match to mine as John's year of birth was only approx and was taken from census/IGI etc.  Also on John's marriage to Sarah, Thomas's occupation was given as 'weaver' and from checking records this is not a common occupation among Ravenscroft's.  The parish records jayson has just found have Thomas's occupation as 'weaver' which is another tick in the box.  What do you think?  Can't remember if I've asked this already, apolgoies if I have but do any of your Thomas's have weaver as their occupations?  John's occupation was a joiner.

The only snag that has turned up is a burial record for a Thomas Ravenscroft, Acton April 1856 aged 70 years.  This would give him a year of birth of 1786 and the Thomas we have has c1779.  Jayson is double checking this in case their are other Thomas's in the same area.  The year of birth matches your Thomas mentioned in our previous massages but he was in Middlewich, the IGI has a couple more possibles and will let you know on this.  Don't suppose your Thomas has son called John?  Clutching at straws here as you would have mentioned it by now. 

Anyway, have a check to see if anything matches -we'll find the link one day and will speak to you soon.

Crystal.
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Barony born Dabber
    • View Profile
Re: Ravenscrofts & Hewitts
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 October 07 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Crystal,

Glad you're feeling better.

I think you've made a real breakthrough with John's father Thomas - nice one!

I am curious about Thomas marrying Catherine Hewitt in 1807 (5th Jan in Nantwich I think) as I've got a Stephen Ravenscroft marrying a Mary Ann Hewitt in 1838. Quite a long time between the marriages I know, but still possibly more than just a coincidence.

As you say, no links yet, but now that your Ravenscrofts have started moving into the 18th century this can only be coming closer and closer!

Best regards,

NN

Offline marlowmag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 April 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new to this forum and was checking the Ravenscrofts
my gt.gt. grandparents  were Thomas Ravenscroft who married Catherine Hewitt 5/1/1807 at St Mary Nantwich children Ann John Hannah George
my gt grandfather was George R who married Frances Hewiit 19/6/1836
Charles their son was my grandfather born 1837 died 6/1/1893 he married twice 1st wife Ann Royle who died 1887 2nd wife Johanna Knight married nov .1887 Ann had 3 children Frances Sara George Johanna had 3 children
Charles my father  John William who died 2 days old and Thomas who died age 5 i am trying to find out what happened to Frances Sara and George from grandfathers1st wife they are not on the 1891 census
hope this makes sense

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 April 08 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Marlowmags

Welcome to Rootschat, nice to meet another Ravenscroft  ;D  I am a 'married in' Ravenscroft, its my hubbies family tree I am trying to trace and with lots of help from fellow rootschatters I have made lots of headway and found lots of ancestors. 

It looks like you and my husband are distantly related - Thomas Ravenscroft & Catherine Hewitt were my husbands ggg grandparents, I also have their children you listed but have another son Thomas b 1820, do you have any trace of him?  My hubbie is descended from John b 1815.  I have the same date of marriage for Thomas and Catherine at Nantwich but did not have the name of the church (unless its buried in my pile of notes!) 

I have been given some info about George's line but it only mentioned Charles and his 2nd wife Joanna Knight, had no idea about his 1st wife Ann Royle so thats very interesting.  Unfortunately as not aware of the 1st marriage I don't think I have info about Charles & Ann's children but I'll check my notes just in case and let you know. 

I can give you more info about John's line if you are interested, depends how many branches/leaves you want on your tree.  I'm terrible as my tree is getting as wide as it is long as I'm adding everyone.  Let me know.    You have lots of dates etc, hope you don't mind me asking but are they verified?  Some of mine are and it would be nice to tick some of the unverified ones off the list.

Better go as its getting late and I have work tomorrow.  Nice to hear from you Marlowmags and look forward to chatting with you again.

Crystal

Offline marlowmag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Crystal  thanks for your reply i have grandfather R and his family b.d.m. certificates the other information came from Cheshire record office i had great help from John Elsworth who lives in Bunbury when i started my research  a few years ago i will read through my files and see if i come up with any thing new.my grandfather was a game keeper living at Stanner cottage Bunbury the cottage is still standing but no roof in the grounds of Peckforton  i have photographs of the cottage and the well were they got their water my father was born in the cottage in 1888 he married 3 times i am from the 3rd marriage
marlowmags
researching Ravenscroft Cheshire & Liverpool
Knight Holmes Borris Wheeler Parry all Liverpool

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Marlowmags, nice to hear from you again.

Have been double checking names and dates and would say its a definate link although a bit distant.  Nice to have some info on the other lines and like the personal info you gave.  I'm trying to gather as much personal info as well as names/dates so that I can make my tree more personal.

I'm afraid I don't have any info on the children from Charles 1st marriage but you may come across another contact who does.  I have only been researcing both my own and OH family trees for just over 12 months, how long have you been doing yours? the furthest I have gone back is Thomas's parents.

Have a look on the cheshire look up board - I started a thread asking for a lookup at the Records Office for OH grandad's baptism, it was answered by Jayson who has found loads out for me, have a look at it as there might be something of interest to you on there.

Babysitting grandchildren tonight so I've go tot go, speak to you soon.

Crystal.