Author Topic: work houses  (Read 688 times)

Offline missyfirebird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
work houses
« on: Saturday 18 August 07 22:36 BST (UK) »
hi i am looking for information on work houses in the bury st edmonds area around 1928 my nan was put in one when she was born as her mother died giving birth to her and her dad was in the RAF  her dad remarried and came back for her when she was 3 and went back to the RAF and left her with her new mother.
my nan doesn't remember much about tha actual work house but she says it was in the bury st edmonds area. has any one got any ideas.
tahnx missy

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: work houses
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 07 22:52 BST (UK) »
If you google for the workhouse there are a number of links which appear to confirm that the Bury St Edmunds workhouse was based in College Street

RICHES AND RAGS

The History of a Site in College Street, Bury St Edmunds
1480 - 1997

Peter Plumridge

Riches and Rags records some of the author's research into the history of a site in the centre of Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, a history spanning five centuries.

It is the story of contrasts: once part of the College of Jesus holdings, thence a town house of gentry which became a school for young ladies; in 1748 a complete change when the buildings became the house for the poor of the town; in the late 19th century parts were sold off for warehousing and housing, alterations have continued.

The study seeks to provide an insight into the many changes which have befallen the location.

ISBN 0953264300
~M~

Offline missyfirebird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: work houses
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 07 23:00 BST (UK) »
hi
thanx thats great i will take a look
missy