Author Topic: Further details on an igi record  (Read 1366 times)

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Further details on an igi record
« on: Saturday 25 August 07 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've found an interesting record on igi that I think might be that of my grandad's sister, but I don't really know how to go about finding out more about it. It seems to me that it isn't just the transcription of parish records as it covers details of the births and 3 people, a mother, father and daughter, and also the parent's marriage, and the events took place over various different places including Manchester, Stockport and Wales in a period of 100 years. I think the only way these details would all be together is if the submitter had specifically researched the family. The daughter in the family, who I believe to be my mother's cousin died in 1972 according to the record.
I just want to know how I can find out more about the family and work out whether they're indeed my rels. I emailed igi who said no submitter details were kept, so where do I go now to find out about them?  ???
Thanks
Erin

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Further details on an igi record
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 07 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin,

You could try other sites to see if they have posted the family tree on there: GenesReunited, ancestry etc.  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 07 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati,
  Thanks for the reply; I'm afraid I've tried and failed on ancestry, GenesReunited and rootsweb. Are there any others I'm missing?
I feel as though I'm missing a trick somewhere though........
Erin

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 07 18:15 BST (UK) »
Erin - have you tried a Google search for the most unusual name in the tree? Use inverted commas for an exact phrase search. Also try Everyclick or Ask - they seem to turn up good results on name searches.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 August 07 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun,
   Thanks for your input, unfortunately the names are fairly common, I tried typing in the daughter's name, Miriam Hughes, because her first name is marginally less common than her parents', but I couldn't find anything relevant.
I suppose I'll just have to hope that one of Miriam's descendants decides to join genes or ancestry.
If anyone has any other ideas they'd be gratefully recieved
Cheers
Erin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 August 07 18:56 BST (UK) »
Try using a search engine again with a name (using quotes) and place and date (birth or death). Example: "John Smith" "12 June 1842" "Manchester, England". This system often brings up postings about the person/family when there's a common name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 August 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
No luck I'm afraid, but just in case anyone related ever tries to google it, I think I'll write the details here-

Father- Hugh Hughes Christening:  25 AUG 1878  Saint Gwyan, Dwygyfylchi, Caernarvon, Wales
Death:  1936  Manchester, Lancashire, England

Mother- Ellen Griffiths born abt 1884 in Bethesda, Wales
Death:  19 JAN 1922  Addison Street, Ardwick, Lancashire, England

Their Marriage- 21 JUN 1902  Register Office, Prestwich, Lancashire, England

Daughter- Miriam Hughes  Birth:  19 SEP 1911  Bethesda, , Caernarvon, Wales
 Death:  1973  Stockport, Cheshire, England

Thanks for the suggestions

Erin

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 August 07 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin,

All of the events listed in the IGI entry fall into the Civil Registration window (i.e. post 1837) so you could send away for certificates of any of them you are interested in.  For example, the marriage certificate should show names of both fathers.

You could also chase these people through the census - 1881, 91 and 1901.  Father (in 1881) and mother (in 1891) would be young enough to still be living with their parents, so that would take you back another generation.

What sort of further information were you interested in?

Cheers
Prue

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 August 07 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue,
   Yes you're right; I could order the marriage certificate which would tell me for certain whether this is my Ellen Griffiths. It's hard to be conclusive with censuses, as Ellen's name is fairly common, but I know where my Ellen is in 1891, and I have a likely one in Manchester in 1901.
 Other than that, I would mainly be interested in finding a living descendant who could give me more information about the family, as my Grandad never knew most of his siblings.
 Ordinarily I would just assume that no descendant had done any family history research, but with so much info on one family available through IGI in one record, I feel that someone has done the research, so it's just a bit frustrating I can't find out who.
Thanks for the advice
Erin