Author Topic: o'connell  (Read 2791 times)

Offline princess1

• RootsChat Member
  • George William Ranson Ord in Tobruk WW2
    • View Profile
o'connell
« on: Sunday 26 August 07 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am trying to trace a James O'Connell born 10.1.1786 - died 28.7.1872; I am wanting to know where he died if possible. (From family information i believe he is the son of "the irish liberator" Daniel O'Connell).
He married Jane O'Donoghue on 31.3.1818 with what I can gather is 4 children, however further information says that he married again - Margaret ?????? and they had a daughter Mary Ann O'Connell born 7/9/1822 in Ireland but died in Sydney Australia in 1902.

This pair are very elusive, I believe they (James & Margaret) may have travelled to Australia in 1837? aboard the Lady McNaughton, but I cannot find any information at all, thats why I was wondering if he died in Ireland and my family info is incorrect as IGI says he died in 1872 but no location???  Hope this is not to ambiguous..............

Any help would be appreciated
Princess 1 - Australia

ORDS, Robson, Yeaman, Ranson,-  Durham
Fisher, Armstrong, Watson - Northumberland

Watson,Downie, Findlay - Boyndie, Whitehills /Banff

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: o'connell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 07 09:37 BST (UK) »
Lots of information online about Daniel O'Connell but wonder why you think there is a connection (other than family stories).
Daniel O'Connell married his cousin Mary O'Connell & had 3 dau. & 4 sons- Maurice, Morgan, John O'Connell, Daniel (all in Parliament). Dau. Ellen to U.S. Daniel O'Connell's heart buried in Rome but body in Glasnevin, Dublin & sons also buried there.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_O'Connell
These sites, and many others, also mention the children:
www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/people/daniel.htm
www.newadvent.org/cathen/11200c.htm

All you have to do is Google "Daniel O'Connell Ireland" and hundreds of sites will be listed.

Back to your James O'Connell-
According to IGI James O'Connell and Jane O'Donoghue had 5 children: Mary (c1819), Maurice (c1821), Daniel James (c1823), Charles (c1828), James (c1832). All christened Killarney Co. Kerry (extracted records from church baptisms- dates given). Therefore it is unlikely that James married and had a daughter Mary Ann in 1822 (getting married 1st in 1818, having 4 children, getting married again and having another child in 1822 was a bit unlikely although theoretically not impossible).

Now for James' death- civil registration of deaths began in 1864 in Ireland so you could try searching for a death certificate. In Ireland death certificates list name of deaceased, date and place of death, age (in years not birthdate), status (married, single, divorced), occupation, cause of death, name of informant. Spouse, unless informant, birthplace, parents, place of burial are not on the certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!