Author Topic: (Lancs) 1841/1851/1861 Census Lookups Please For Nicholas Rossiter  (Read 2570 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
(Lancs) 1841/1851/1861 Census Lookups Please For Nicholas Rossiter
« on: Sunday 26 August 07 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am doing a one name study of the Rossiter family and am looking for information please about the parents and siblings of Nicholas Rossiter born circa 1852 in Preston.

He married Mary Ann Harrison in the June Qtr of 1872 in Preston.

Any information would be greatly appreciated please. TIA.

Best wishes

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: (Lancs) 1841/1851/1861 Census Lookups Please For Nicholas Rossiter
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 07 04:09 BST (UK) »
rcuser.

I found their Marriage date on familysearch.org:

26 MAY 1872      Saint John, Preston, Lancashire

P.S.

I did a few searches for Nicholas ROSSITERs Birth & Any ROSSITERS BDMs in Preston?

Nicholas & Mary Anns Marriage was the Only ROSSITER Record I could find in Preston?
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 07 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Pegasus,

Thanks for that and for taking the time & trouble to look it up.

Must admit it does seem weird. All I can think of is that his parents were from outside Lancashire and that they did not appear on censuses for some reason.

Maybe too Nicholas was an only child ( so no siblings).

The 1881 Census had him with a family of 3 all born in Preston :-

Margaret born June Qtr 1873
Lawrence Harrison  born Sept Qtr 1875
Richard William born Sept Qtr 1877

The 1881 Census  has them living here:-

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Couldn't find any death records or marriage records for the children.

Is it possible to check for him by the address or find the parents via the children please?

Best wishes

rcuser

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 07 16:23 BST (UK) »
The 1891 confirms his birthplace was Preston.  Address 11 Emmanuel St and additional son James aged 7

No sign of him on the 1861/1871 for England, Scotland or Wales

He died pre-1901 as Mary is widowed and living with married daughter Margaret (Cookson)

3 possibilities - he was illegitimate, mother married pre-1861 and he is under her surname on those censuses

He was born in wedlock but father died and mother re-married pre-1861

His father was in the forces and the family lived abroad (the most unlikely of the 3)

Solutions - copy of his marriage cert to find his fathers name or search the full GRO index for his birth 1851-1853

The 1851/1861 has no Rossiters living in the Preston area

The 1871 has one Rossiter family at Fulwood Barracks Preston but mother was only b 1839 and father 1836 so they are too young.  Both b Ireland and children were only 5 & 3
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 07 18:19 BST (UK) »
You may have already seen the 1881 entry for another Nicholas Rossiter b Wexford Ireland aged 56 married (no wife shown) and in lodgings in Burnley.  Unusual combination of names - possible connection??

Just as a by the by - here's a coincidence on the IGI

Nicholas Rossiter  born 15 JAN 1880   Lightwater Wexford Ireland

Parents:   Father:  Thomas Rossiter     Mother:  Mary Ann Harrison

There are a few Wexford Nicholas Rossiter births on the IGI but in the 1870's
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 07 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

Thanks for that. I have quite a few Nicholases in my database but it's strange that in this case there don't appear to be any others nearby.

I have Thomas Rossiter & Mary Ann Harrison in my database with son Walter born 1873 in Wexford so it looks like Nicholas born 1880 is part of that family.

Thanks too for finding James on the 1891.

I have some Rossiters in Wigan. I'll see if there's a possible link there.

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes

rcuser   

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 07 23:26 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this might be of any help.

My Parle family lived in the Glyn/Barntown area of Wexford, I believe specifically in Ballindinas.  I have christenings of three of their children with Roseter godparents -

William was born and christened 9 April 1827 - godparents Nicholas Byrne and Margaret Roseter
Mary was born and christened 27 March 1832 - godparents Nicholas Roseter and Elizabeth Pender
Robert was born and christened 24 November 1838 - godparents Thomas Bishop and Mary Rositer

I know the dates are way before the times you are looking at but the name Nicholas might run in the family and since Wexford was mentioned it might help you narrow down the search a bit to know the Townland.

There are other children, with a variety of different named godparents.  I am not aware of any relationship between the Roseters and the Parles, it might just be that they were neighbours.  There also doesn't appear to be any significance in the christenings being on the same day as the birth, this seems to be commonplace in Ireland.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 07 23:40 BST (UK) »
I think this site is by a Nicky Rossiter

http://www.iol.ie/~wexfordways/index.htm
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi MaryA,

Many thanks for the posts.

I can't find a Rossiter- Parle marriage at the moment and didn't have the information posted on the other three families listed so thank you for that. It gives me a starting point to work from.

I do have a couple of Rossiter- Byrne marriages so maybe Nicholas Byrne & his wife might fit in there somewhere.

If I find any Rossiter- Parle links I'll let you know.

Thanks for taking the time & trouble to let me know.

Have a good day.

Best wishes

rcuser