Author Topic: any help with these ladies who all married a "merrick" from norton canon??  (Read 28851 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
hi.. i have been researching the merrick family from norton canon for 4 years now..i have extensive info on the merricks..but not their wives..so if anybody has any of these ladies in their tree,i would appreciate some info...as follows....
ANN JEFFS b abt 1695 LLANDINABO married john merrick in 1716 in llandinabo
their son simon merrick married ELLINOR DAVIES b 1730 letton,they had 4 children..ellinor died then simon married elizabeth stringham b 1739 eardisley
simon and elizabeth had 5 children.
simon and ellinor davies had a son edward merrickb 1757 bridge sollars..he married MARY NICOLLS b 1760 bridge sollars.their son thomas merrick b 1798 norton canon married ANN PHILLIPS b 1791 norton canon.....their son edward merrick b 1828 norton canon married ANNE TAYLOR b 1829 dilwyn(parents thomas and mary both b 1801 and a sister elizabeth b 1835)....edward and anne had 3 children,all born ocle pychard,anna merrick 1850/marianne merrick b 1852 and william taylor merrick b 1856.....MARIANNE MERRICK married DANIEL OAKES my gg grandfather in garston liverpool in 1874.....i live in garston,Liverpool,so you can see how difficult it is for me to do research in ,
norton canon/llandinabo/eardisley/bridge sollars/dilwyn/letton so i am researching all the wives  in capital letters.
ANN JEFFS -1695 LLANDINABO
ELLINOR DAVIES 1730 LETTON
MARY NICOLLS b 1760 BRIDGE SOLLARS
ANN PHILLIPS B 1791 N/CANON
ANNE TAYLOR B 1829 DILWYN
and also the last 2 merricks in my family tree ANNA MERRICK B 1850 OCLE PYCHARD  and WILLIAM TAYLOR MERRICK B 1856 OCLE PYCHARD............very long winded i know,but its about time i got more details on the wives of the merricks......thanks in anticipation.....allan oakes ;) ;) ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: any help with these ladies who all married a "merrick" from norton canon??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 09:19 BST (UK) »
i`ve found out ann taylors parents were....william taylor b 1802 Dilwyn and Mary Jones b 1798 Dilwyn...any info on these would be appreciated...regards...allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 09:52 BST (UK) »
I am nudging this thread up in case any new members in the last 15 months can help...fingers crossed....allan :)

Offline jm12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 February 11 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear Alan

I can't recall whether we have been in touch before. I haven't used this forum much (mainly use ancestry.co.uk) but I think we have a lot of common ancestors re Merricks and Oakes.
Mary Ann Merrick  1852-1913 is my great grandmother and Daniel Oakes a great grandfather.

I have some information on both sides of the family but looking at some of the strings of information on this site you seem to be way ahead of me.  I have got back to Simon Merrick on direct Merrick line and a name only for his father John Merrick.
On Oakes line I have got back to John oakes 1786 and his father Thomas but no further information.
I have photos of several of the Merrick gravestones in Norton Canon and Sarnesfield if those are of interest. if you have information/photos/documents  you can share on these lines or other researchers you know looking at same areas it would be much appreciated.

thanks

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Jm...this is great news for me...no, we haven`t been in touch before and I am really looking forward to exchanging info....Marianne Merrick / Mary Ann moved here to Garston and married my GG Grandfather Daniel Oakes..
my name is Allan Oakes and I live in Garston..
You have gone a little astray somewhere Jm.....my Oakes line as follows..DIRECT ancestors AND YOURS I will type in capitals
RALPH OAKES b abt 1727 in Over, ,Cheshire married Mary Trelfa b 1736 Over ,Cheshire  on 2nd January 1758 at St Chads church,Over ,Winsford,Cheshire.....their children
William b 1758 Middlewich
John 1760   .......
Thomas 1761
Ralph 1764
Joseph 1765
Mary 1767
Richard 1770
Hannah 1772
Samuel 1774
Elizabeth 1776...these were all born in Middlewich...I have their Babtism dates if you want them
Peter 1779   in Backford ,Cheshire
DANIEL OAKES 1782 - 1859 in  Backford
Hannah 1790   in Backford
DANIEL OAKES married an Elizabeth  UNKNOWN.  1783 - 1870....a bugbear in my research......their children
THOMAS OAKES b 1817  Poulton cum Spittle  , Neston, Cheshire
Mary Oakes b 1820    Neston
William Oakes b 1822  Neston
THOMAS OAKES B 1817 married ELLEN ANYON b 1820 Neston,Cheshire in March 1840 in Neston....their children
William Oakes 1842
Thomas Oakes 1843
Samuel Oakes b 1847
DANIEL OAKES B 1849 - 1904  Neston
Mary Oakes 1853
James Oakes 1856
Ann Oakes 1859
Joseph Oakes 1862
DANIEL OAKES married MARY ANN MERRICK in our local church St Michaels ,Garston ,Liverpool in 1874....children
Thomas 1874
Ellen 1875 .....in touch with her g grandson in New York
William 1877.......my direct ancestor
Daniel 1880
Mary 1881
Beatrice 1884
James 1885
Harriet 1888
Sarah 1890
Elizabeth 1894
OK    go to   www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb     click DATABASE    then  BABTISM   then fill in the box   oakes ...on page 6 you will see   BACK 7820126   OAKES   DANL   BACK     BACKC 00900595
click on the circle AND the square next to the name and you will see the babtism   ...the number 7820126 is actually
(1)782  -  01 -  26   thus   26th  Jan  1782  ..this the day Daniel Oakes was babtised...a tricky site at first, but you will get a lot of info on the family...if you get stuck, let me know   
Start with Daniel....Thomas born 1817 is on page 8....you can get all the babtisms /marriages /Burials...and then from 1841/51/61 you will find them all on the census returns.....good luck
so....how are you related to Daniel /Mary Ann Merrick ?
allan ;)

Offline jm12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear Allan
thanks for replying so quickly. My name is John Martin. Thanks for advice on Oakes line. Yes it looks like I have taken Thomas Oakes (1817) parents as being John and Anne from Davenham. I was using the database you mentioned but clearly I had missed the correct link from Thomas to father Daniel. That makes a lot more sense because my grandmother Harriet Oakes (daughter of Daniel b 1849) married my grandfather Harold Phillips in Wisaston, Nantwich which I have never understood. I guess it is because it is not far from Winsford and ancestral stamping grounds and also perhaps half way for those travelling up from Herefordshire (H Phillips came from Ross on Wye area)  to wedding.
I will rerun the dates on Oakes and get back to you if I have queries. What is your link to Oakes line and being a Garston man do you have photos of Oakes residences (eg Banks Rd) and/or headstones?  I haven't any photos of Oakes - would love to find one of Daniel for example. I do have  photo of my grandmother harriet with her widowed mum Mary Ann Oakes outside their cottage, Brook House in Weobley. My grandfather used to cycle from Walford (near Ross) to Weobley every Sunday whilst they were 'courting' to see her. Quite a distance on an old-fashioned bike.
I don't suppose you have any idea how Mary ann Merrick met Daniel do you? Was Mary ann in service in Liverpool?
I now live in Hereford (hence recent interest in family history) and have photos of Merricks gravestones in Norton Canon and Sarnesfield if of interest.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hiya John...right...you may be able to help here...Daniel Oakes was married to Ann Evason in 1871 in Liverpool
go to www.lancashirebmd.org.uk   1871 for the Ann Evason marriage and 1874 for the Mary Ann Merrick marriage.
Ann Evason was born in Kidderminster and went home to Kidderminster in 1873 to die...I don`t know how far Kidderminster is from the Ocle Pychard / Norton Canon area but it seems a little strange that a Blacksmith from Neston who moved to Liverpool should marry 2 ladies from around the area Ocle Pychard  and Kidderminster..HOW did he meet Ann Evason and Mary Ann Merrick...were they friends...did Daniel and Ann Evason have a child ?...did Ann die in childbirth...all unanswered questions...
and for the record...I have Marianne Merrick..on www.familysearch.org it has her babtism as MARIANNE....her marriage states MARY ANN ...do you by any chance have any other official records ??
as for H Phillips coming up for the wedding from Herefordshire ?? Marianne Merricks grandmother was Ann Phillips b 1791 Norton Canon.....could H Phillips have been Mariannes cousin??
I would be over the moon to see that photo of Marianne Oakes (Merrick) ...you have to understand that there are so so many Oakes here in Garston / South Liverpool that are all descended from Marianne ...hope you don`t mind me calling her Marianne , but as that is the name at her babtism , I have always called her Marianne  ;)
allan :)
allan

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Re the Photo ....John...was Brook House the cottage where Marianne eventually died in ?
is it still standing ?...My wife and I came to Norton Canon 2 years ago and we visited a lot of the villages where the Merricks came from ......we may come down again in the summer...we stayed in Eardisley last time ....I would love to see that cottage if it`s still standing.....would it be possible to send me that photo via e-mail...I will PM you my addy
allan :)

Offline JO07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 May 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
Just read jm12's message saying:

On Oakes line I have got back to John oakes 1786 and his father Thomas but no further information.

As John Oakes is my great-great-great grandfather, is there any further information? Wasn't aware his father was a Thomas.

I still live near St Chads and have same name as my 3x great grandfather!