Author Topic: Where to after 1901 in the UK?  (Read 909 times)

Offline gmerrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where to after 1901 in the UK?
« on: Monday 27 August 07 12:09 BST (UK) »

Hi everyone. I've been going great guns digging out things from various census data and the IGI etc. However I've hit a brick wall in that after 1901 since census data is no longer available.

Does anyone have any ideas or techniques for research? I'm specifically looking at Yorkshire (West Riding)  but I'm sure there's valuable general techniques.

Cheers,
 Graeme
MERRALL - Yorkshire
LESTER - Yorkshire
ALDERSON - York/Lanc

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Where to after 1901 in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 07 12:13 BST (UK) »
The real nuisance is mothers / spouse maiden name not showing in BMD Indices until post 1911/12 .....

To research beyond 1901 you need to look for marriages and births (best done working back from a known) - you also have Wills, Electoral Rolls, Rates/Taxes, Phone Books and Business Directories ....

.... and never forget Google ...

:)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 07 12:14 BST (UK) »
redundant post
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 07 17:32 BST (UK) »
Graeme, here are some websites for West Yorks.  There are heaps more, but just depends on the area of your Ancestors - anyway hope some of this helps.

www.yorkshireindexers.co.uk    they have a wealth of info and all the Moderators are local and very knowledgeable.

West Yorkshire Archive Services - not sure if they have researchers who can do the work for you, but you can always ask.

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/
http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/cultureandleisure/historicwakefield/investigate/wheretogo/archives/default.htm

http://www.leodis.net      has some wonderful old photos of the area particularly Leeds

Regards
Dee

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 07 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Graeme,

Anyone in the Army?  WW1 British Army Pension records now available on www.ancestry.co.uk  .....might find useful info re wives/children/addresses.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 07 17:58 BST (UK) »
It's worth looking on Genes Reunited - if you look up all your surnames it's amazing how often you can find descendants of your great-aunts and uncles etc.

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 07 20:18 BST (UK) »
www.yorkshireindexers.co.uk    they have a wealth of info and all the Moderators are local and very knowledgeable.

Just to add to that, specifically from the yorkshire indexers you can buy a Leeds Burials cd rom which covers a large period of time and many different cemeteries in Leeds. I have discovered a lot of info from the cd including some transcripts of gravestone inscriptions. I have also been able to visit some of my ancestors' graves. Not bad for a tenner  :D

I can't wait for the 1911 census though, it will certainly solve a lot of mysteries in my tree...

Erin