Author Topic: Edward LUGG Born 1798 Ruan  (Read 18654 times)

Offline cbcarolyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Carolyn
    • View Profile
Edward LUGG Born 1798 Ruan
« on: Monday 27 August 07 23:10 BST (UK) »
Anyone help on finding this chaps parents?  I made a previous thread here which makes mention of him, but I still have not been able to find any info.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,113604.msg502201.html#msg502201

I have bought copies of the transcripts of baptisms for Ruan Major and Ruan Minor, but no luck - I also had a look at the fiche at Helston Library for Ruan Major - but couldn't see it myself either.

Not sure where else I can look.

I did find his gravestone in Gunwalloe last week - but no clue on there.

Any help/advice on where to look gratefully received.
Lugg/Freeman/Caddy- Cornwall
Dayman/Hobbs - Devon
Brett/Clark/Hicks - Middx/Essex/London
Miles - Northampton
Woodruff/Proctor/Worth - Midlands/NE/Wales

http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward LUGG Born 1798 Ruan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 01:57 BST (UK) »
1841 has a couple of the right age and place who could be his parents.

HO107; Piece 138; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Major Ruan; County: Cornwall; Enumeration District: 13; Folio: 4; Page: 3
At Ruan Major
James 65 Farmer yes (born in county)
Sarah 60 yes
Hannibal 20 Carpenter

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can't find an Edward I am afraid. Of Gunwalloe at time of marriage, quite consitant with a birth in Ruan/Ruan Major throughout his Census entries. There are a few possible parents I can see about the area.

George LUGG = Honour HALL 12 Nov 1776 (1 Child Ruan Major 1777 then moved to St Martin in Meneage where last listed is in 1796)

Joseph LUGG = Elizabeth KING 18 Nov 1784 Ruan Major (Only one child listed Ruan Major 1785)

James LUGG of Ruan Major = Sarah LYNNE 25 Jun 1799 St Martin in Meneage (Children born Ruan Major from 1799)

Simon LUGG = Elizabeth PASCOE 26 Nov 1793 Ruan Major (Births Ruan Major from 1793)

James LUGG of Ruan Minor = Mary OLIVER 28 Jan 1795 Grade (Children Grade and Ruan Minor)

Unfortunately I don't see an Edward listed to any of them  :'(

From this James and Sarah or Simon and Elizabeth look the most likely candidates. I don't see any clues in his childrens names. (Just an Elizabeth out of these possible parents names)

Cheers Kris  :D

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cbcarolyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Carolyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.

I had spotted some potential families - but just can't find a connection.  He never uses any more names than Edward, which is a real shame.  I will have to plot all the children of the potential parents mentioned and see if there is a logical gap, but still won't actually prove anything.

Dayman/Hobbs - Devon
Miles - Northampton

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 21:58 BST (UK) »
sorry to ask but are you sure he was born in Ruan or even Cornwall?

its just that i found a very very early marriage in Devon :~
Edward LUGGER 12 Nov 1627 St Andrews Plymouth to Eliz Baker and wondered if it was related.
also:~
(again very early but maybe conected) Edward LUGG of Langford Budville Somerset, m. Deborah Brown of Norton Fitzwarren on 29. Jan 1722

perhaps another couple to add to Kris' list

James LUGG of Ruan Major m. Prudence GREENLAW of St Keverne by licence on 31st Jan 1771

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline cbcarolyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Carolyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 22:49 BST (UK) »
He is on every census until he died and and he did say he was from Ruan/ Ruan Major on them all, that is all I have to go on at the moment.
Dayman/Hobbs - Devon
Miles - Northampton

Offline marwil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 November 07 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Dear cbcarolyn and Folks,

I cannot help you with finding Edward's parents (but eagerly await the results) however I can tell you where he is buried. He and his wife are on the top of Mount Duneed on the Bellarine Peninsula (Victoria, Australia) looking back over Ocean Grove to Port Phillip Heads that he entered in 1853 in the company of his son William Lugg, an RN trained 2nd mate who worked his passage to Australia with his entire extended family. All prospered. Edward is my ggg grandfather. I drive past the cemetery every day to work with my teenage children and we say hello on most mornings. When they were infants we would go and visit the "great great greats" regularly but it is now a bit passe for them. Definitely from Ruan Major.

Offline cbcarolyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Carolyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 November 07 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I think my Edward was buried in Gunwalloe, although I guess I can't be sure which is mine.  Henry (Thomas Henry) Lugg is my ggg grandfather and Edward is his father.  I don't know any siblings of Henry either he has proved to be a bit of a brickwall - I just have his marriage certificate.

Edward is entered as a shopkeeper.

Dayman/Hobbs - Devon
Miles - Northampton

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 November 07 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

A big welcome to RootsChat marwil. Now I am getting really confused here. I think we need to go back to square 1 with both of you. We have been unable to locate a baptism for one Edward LUGG anywhere. Now it appears we have 2 of them.  :-\

One was buried in Gunwalloe in 18 Apr 1883 (aged 85 Years). This chap can be traced consistently through the censuses. (= Juliana HENDY 21 Jul 1819 Gunwalloe) He was an ag lab. Now marwil mentions Edward Lugg arrived in Victoria in 1853 along with his son William so we should have 2 Edward Luggs in 1841 and 1851 censuses, yet I see only one  ???

Now cbcarolyn has just said son Henry's (Thomas Henry) marriage lists father as Edward a shop keeper. The Edward we have tracked seems to be an ag lab, porter, gardener, and I don't see son Henry. (Thomas Henry) Where is He? What do you have on Henry? Where and when was he born? marwil mentions a son William (a sailor) working his way to Oz with his father Edward and extended family. Please can you tell us more about this family.

Now this Edward we have been looking into in Cornwall does have a son William but this Edward remains in Cornwall and is buried in Gunwalloe, so it is not the same person. marwil what do you know about your Edward Lugg? Do you have the immigration details? He died in Victoria. You know where he is buried. Do you have his death certificate by any chance? A Victorian death cert should list a lot of information including parentage - if known. When did he die and how old was he? Sorry to be asking so many questions but a second Edward Lugg surfacing seems to be making a difficult request even harder to try to solve. We can't find a baptism for one  ::)

Cheers................A very confused Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk