Author Topic: Queen's Pilot  (Read 1469 times)

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Queen's Pilot
« on: Tuesday 28 August 07 05:51 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please enlighten me as to what a Queen's Pilot did? I assume it is a higher ranking of a ship's pilot but other than that I'm clueless. Thanks

McCorkindale (Glasgow, London and Australia); McCorquodale (Argyll and Gloucs); Sim (Stirlingshire); Melvin (Leith); Kunkel (Bavaria); O'Brien (Clare, IRL); Partridge (Gloucs); Morrison (Strachur, Argyll); Gavin (Kildare and Queensland); Murphy (Wicklow); Sherry (Tullamore, Wexford and Australia); Paton (Robert and Madge or children in Govan); Paton (Dundee); Paton (Qld Australia 1910+); McDavid (Wigtown)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Queen's Pilot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 07 23:21 BST (UK) »
Was he anywhere near Portsmouth Harbour, which I believe to be the H.Q. of the Queens' Harbour Master and would have authority over Queen's Pilots - have a look on this website:

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3100

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 07 03:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rena. No he was at Caithness and then Leith. I wonder if the family "promoted" him & he was just a normal ship's pilot. It seems unlikely to me that he would then be tied into Portsmouth but maybe they were positioned at all major ports? I know the son was a tug captain. Thanks for the website

Cheers
McCorkindale (Glasgow, London and Australia); McCorquodale (Argyll and Gloucs); Sim (Stirlingshire); Melvin (Leith); Kunkel (Bavaria); O'Brien (Clare, IRL); Partridge (Gloucs); Morrison (Strachur, Argyll); Gavin (Kildare and Queensland); Murphy (Wicklow); Sherry (Tullamore, Wexford and Australia); Paton (Robert and Madge or children in Govan); Paton (Dundee); Paton (Qld Australia 1910+); McDavid (Wigtown)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 07 09:29 BST (UK) »
I've done some more surfing and although I couldn't find the particular title "Queen's Pilot"  I did come across one fellow who from 1985 to 1990 had the title:
 "Captain of the Port of Rosyth and Queen's Harbourmaster"

The reference to Queen's means that your relative would be responsible for making sure and even nudging the big ships into the berths at the harbour/pier.  But did he also go out to meet the big ships at the mouth of the river and guide them through the safe shipping channels into the port/dock.

Could he have been employed by H.M. Customs & Excise? They operate in every major port.    (H.M. = Her Majesty's = the Queen).

Good luck with your research.  So far I haven't managed to find records for my gt. grandfather who was initially a seaman then a Deputy Dock Master in Leith during the 1800's

Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 07 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena

Thanks for all the work you've put into finding information for me about this. There was obviously layers of responsibility that are somewhat lost to we amateurs. The concept of being part of Customs is a good one.

Hope all your help to me brings good karma with your own searches

Cassmob

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 September 07 12:36 BST (UK) »
I had a little think and I thunk...  ;D

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_map/1_map_leith_1917.htm

There was (is?) a Queen's Dock at Leith - possibly your man was responsible for guiding ships into it?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 September 07 12:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for thunking of me! It may be an answer to the QP question.  It seems to be a much trickier question than I anticipated so really appreciate the help

Cassmob