Author Topic: St Helier, Jersey, Marriage look up please  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Little Angie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St Helier, Jersey, Marriage look up please
« on: Wednesday 29 August 07 11:32 BST (UK) »
Would it be possible for some kind sole to look for the marriage of my great great grandparents
William Holding and Sarah Jane Wyatt.  William was something to do with the army and they went form St Helier to Canada.  Their first child (Elizabeth)was born there in 1865 so I assume ther marriage would have been prior to this.  They returned to St Helier when Elizabeth was small and the rest of their children were born there.

Many thanks

Angie

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Helier, Jersey, Marriage look up please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Angie

I'm afraid that a look through the index from the mid 1850's to about 1865 was unsuccesful.

How confident are you that it was St Helier?

Stewart

Offline Little Angie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Many thanks for taking the time to look for me.

According to all the census entries Sarah was born in St Helier.  William was in the army and at one time at the Fort in St Helier.  Their 1st child was born in Queenston Canada where William was a Sargent in the Royal Canadian Rifle Regiment (part of the British Army) on her birth certificate it indicates that William and Sarah are married.  My reasoning is that to take Sarah to Canada with him they would have got married prior to leaving Jersey.  They also settled back there on their return from Canada.

I've checked the England and Wales BMDs and couldn't find a match.  I'm at a bit of a loss now.

Angie

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Angie

A lot of people went from Jersey to Canada, particularly to Newfoundland for the cod fishing. There is a web-site (albeit in Canadian French) which lists all the Jersey people who settled around Gaspe. Unfortunately no Wyatt's are mentioned.

//tonylesauteur.com/abre11.htm     NB No WWW at the front

What I'm trying to say is that as Jersey people were in Canada, could they have married over there?

Where abouts is Queenston?

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 September 07 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Angie

Was in the Archive Centre again today so did another check. Afraid I still haven't found a marriage.

I can see a birth. Sarah Jane Wyatt, born 3/1/1839 and baptised 26/12/1841. Daughter of Charles Thomas and Sarah Wyatt. God-parents were Robert Halfyard and Mary Ann Kingston.

As none of the family appear in an 1851 census, could they have been in Canada at this time?

Stewart

Offline Little Angie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 September 07 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Once again many thanks for your time and effort, it is really appreciated.

Queenston is along the Niagara River about 7 miles from Niagara Falls, it is in the province of Ontario. 

Thinking about what you have said it is possible that Sarah's family went to Canada and that was where she met William as opposed to meeting him on Jersey as I had assumed.  I will have to investigate that avenue.

Thank you for looking for the birth of Sarah, apart from the year and place of birth I knew nothing.  Could I just ask one thing though, I'm sure I'm being a bit thick, her fathers name Charles Thomas are they his Christian names or Christian and surname.  The other thing that I find quite interesing is that there is quite a gap between the birth and christening.

Lots of food for thought

Angie

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 September 07 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Angie

Sorry it's my grammer. The father was Charles Thomas Wyatt.

Yes, I thought it was quite a gap as well but that was what was in the index.

Best of luck.

Stewart