Author Topic: Murray/McKay-Murray/ Crangle  (Read 5168 times)

Offline ballach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murray/McKay-Murray/ Crangle
« on: Saturday 01 September 07 15:29 BST (UK) »
Looking for decendants of Peter McKay and his wife Eliza (Murray) they had one daughter that i know of, Susan.  All mentioned in a Will dated 1860. They were from Slievenisky.
Also Susannah Murray who married a Crangle, again in the same Will 1860.
would be keen to know more

Heff
CRICKARD, (ARDMEEN)
MCALEENAN (CASTLEWELLAN0
MURRAY (BALLYNAHINCH, DOWNPATRICK, SLIEVENISKY CLANVARAGHAN)
TREVORS
KEOWN (ARDMEEN0

SAWEY (ARDMEEN)
CRICKARD (ARDMEEN)
HEFFORD/HEFFER (BERKSHIRE)
PUNCKER (WARWICKSHIRE)
MCCABE (RATOATH COUNTY MEATH)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Murray/McKay-Murray/ Crangle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 September 07 10:37 BST (UK) »
Heff, I just had a quick look at Crangle.
From Ros davies great website freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/C/Cra.htm
Slievenisky Kilmegan 20: 33/44 7 km N of Castlewellan; 1198 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; H .Smith murdered 10 Feb 1839;major proprietor in 1863 was Earl Annesley; iron ore resources 18 Aug 1883; highest point 1408 feet DR; GV 

Catherine CRANGLE . Kilmegan of Ballywillwill; leased a house in 1863 from Andrew Kirkpatrick  GV
Frances  CRANGLE . Kilmegan farmed in Ballybannon in 1803 with 6 family members  LDR 
Thomas  CRANGLE . Kilmegan farmed in Ballybannon in 1803 with 5 family members  LDR 
William CRANGLE . Kilmegan farmed in Ballybannon in 1803 with 7 family members  LDR 

Also see her entries under Churches in the parish of   Kilmegan, these list church records if you are lucky.
Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline ballach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 September 07 13:56 BST (UK) »
Jim
Thanks very much

you dont happen to now anything on the Mc'Kays? just wondering i have looked but no luck so far
Heff
CRICKARD, (ARDMEEN)
MCALEENAN (CASTLEWELLAN0
TREVORS
KEOWN (ARDMEEN0

SAWEY (ARDMEEN)
CRICKARD (ARDMEEN)
PUNCKER (WARWICKSHIRE)

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 September 07 20:49 BST (UK) »
I looked in Ros Davies and found too recent an entry for you,  but possibly a relative nevertheless
John McKAY . Kilmegan married Elizabeth Flynn 25 Nov 1919 at Castlewellan Catholic Church CR/EA   Sounds interesting if your family is catholic or mixed. Ros Davies might have extra recordsWhat irish websites have you tried ?
Keep going Jim
worldwide

Offline ballach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 07 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim
I or rather we have been searching for a while, i have found a relation in Canada and between the two of us have made  great headway over the last year.
 Our family the Murrays are from Carrickmanon originally then moved to Slievenisky one member lived at Clanvaraghan and the rest  stayed at Slievenisky, i know this as the Will that i have dated 1860  belongs to a 'James Murray from Slievenisky) and in this Will is mention of my g.Grandfather. This is where i get the Crangle and McKay connection as two Murray daughters married into these families and we are just interested to find the decendants if any.
 I think that we have got the Crangle connection  now, we have found a  Edward Crangle  living with his mother  in Downpatrick (lecale History Site) this all fits in as he was a Draper and my g.Grandfather had a few shops in the area and it is known that family members worked for him. Also a Edward Crangle was the witness at my Grandfathers wedding. Susannah McKay we now know was a witness at the birth of one of my g.grandfathers boys.
I have been on ros davies site which is great  the Lecale site is brilliant i often have a look at Caora have made connection with the other side of the famliy ( so to speak) with that site! so have done quite a few
thanks for you interest if you do know where else we can go would like to know.
P.S All the family were RC as far as we know
Heff
CRICKARD, (ARDMEEN)
MCALEENAN (CASTLEWELLAN0
TREVORS
KEOWN (ARDMEEN0

SAWEY (ARDMEEN)
CRICKARD (ARDMEEN)
PUNCKER (WARWICKSHIRE)

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 September 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
My suggestion is to follow down the church records, so what is possibly available or borrowable thro LDS for of Kilmegan civil parish at Ros Davies website, is the following.

St. Malachy's Catholic Church, Castlewellan at the southern end of town on the Rathfriland Road, Parochial House; 91 Main St, Castlewellan BT31 9Dh tel: 4377 8259 Fax; 4377 0349
PRONI has baptisms 1859-1881; NLI has baptisms 1859-1880 , marriages 1859- 1880; UHF has baptisms 1859-1899, marriages 1859-1899 & burials 1866-1868, no graveyard

Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Dundrum in the Catholic parish of Ballykinler
Parochial House 33 Main St, Dundrum BT33 0LU Tel; 4375 1212
no graveyard; Burials in St. Joseph's Ballykinler or Aughlisnafin; UHF has baptisms 1854-1900 & marriages 1855-1900

Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary, Catholic Church in Aughlisnafin townland
Graveyard attached, graveyard inscriptions UHF Vol 9; email me for a gravestone look-up

Clanvaraghan Catholic Church-St Mary of the Angels on a back road between Castlewellan & Dromara BT31 graveyard attached; pay per view gravestones inscriptions on www.irishgenealogy.ie

Finally you unless you live in or visit NI, you need someone to look up the combinations of what you know in the 1901 or 1911 census that is apparently available in NI libraries from the PRONI buit not to others ie myself living in England.

So I wish you well onwards, Jim
worldwide

Offline ballach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 September 07 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help and yes like you here in England!!
Heff
CRICKARD, (ARDMEEN)
MCALEENAN (CASTLEWELLAN0
TREVORS
KEOWN (ARDMEEN0

SAWEY (ARDMEEN)
CRICKARD (ARDMEEN)
PUNCKER (WARWICKSHIRE)