Author Topic: Daisys in the census?  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: Daisys in the census?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 September 07 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thanet is a notional island containing most of East Kent and including Canterbury, Sandwich, Ramsgate, Margate etc.

Not quite accurate!

The Isle of Thanet was once an island, separated from East Kent by the Wantsum - a 2-mile wide strait from Reculver in the north to Richborough in the south (now silted up).  It included Ramsgate, Margate and the surrounding area, but not Sandwich or Canterbury.

Thanet District includes the parishes of Acol, Birchington, Broadstairs and St.Peters, Cliffsend, Manston, Minster, Monkton, and St. Nicholas-at-Wade with Sarre.

For a more detailed explanation, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanet_(district)

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Daisys in the census? UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody

thought you might be interested in the outcome of my George Daisy grave in Ramsgate Cemetery.

Thanet Crem emailed me back with dates for the grave:

George William Daisy was buried on 10th August 1949 aged 59 years old.

So by my calculations he is the one that Bearkat suggested in the 1901 census living with parents William & Caroline and possibly the birth that Devongirl found in thanet in 1891 Dec Q.

Therefore he is the brother of my great grandfather  ;D and a bonified relation

Thank you all for your help.

As a matter of interest to anybody - there was also a small memorial plaque on the grave which read "In memory of George Daisy from the Barrow Boys" - a clue to his life do you think?

jax
Jones, Venner, Kenealy, Morphett, Tree, Maxted, Page, all from or around Lydd, Ivychurch, Romney Marsh.<br />Also<br />Twyman, Daisy Kent/Thanet Area.<br />Also<br />Fidler, Berkshire.  Butcher, Faversham.<br />Also<br />Everson Suffolk/Norfolk<br />Knights, Vann (Wenn) Norfolk
Hilden - Kent and surrounding areas (romany gypsy connections)

Offline devongirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know the ending jax. 

Barrow Boys could mean their occupation, but that seems a bit obvious.  Perhaps a local club?

Always glad to help a fellow 'Daisy'

Daisy
London - Wichett, GRAN, Pelton,Allen,Heath,Webb,Hooker, BARHAM, Rimes, Smith, Player, Cheesman, Salmon, Strong
Hampshire - Coles, Bone
Suffolk - Webb, Gault
Carlisle - Strong, Donaldson, Bennett

Offline Foad Family Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 September 07 19:56 BST (UK) »
As your Census query is solved I do not have info on that, but But I have a Newspaper report about Caroline Daisy Hawking items which were not the legal Food and Drink!
Some insght into your Ancestors!!

Its from the East Kent Times 17th January 1906 But cannot insert attachments on here.

Regards
Suzannah
Isle of Thanet Mailing List
FOAD, All
PETTMAN - All
CONACHY, All
BUNNY - All
BRIDGLAND, CHAPMAN, Hawkshurst, Goudhurst & Cranbrook)
MORLEY, GIBBS, Sussex, Clapham, Wandsworth, Streatham
KNIGHT, KEMP, ROYLE, RIDGWAY, Salford, Leeds
MORFEY, FIELD - Rye and Ramsgate
PHILPOTT, GOODWIN, Herne, Whitstable & Blean
Interested in ALL Margate & Whitstable, Kent surnames.

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 September 07 13:29 BST (UK) »
Gratitude to you once again Suzannah - you are a gem  ;D
Jones, Venner, Kenealy, Morphett, Tree, Maxted, Page, all from or around Lydd, Ivychurch, Romney Marsh.<br />Also<br />Twyman, Daisy Kent/Thanet Area.<br />Also<br />Fidler, Berkshire.  Butcher, Faversham.<br />Also<br />Everson Suffolk/Norfolk<br />Knights, Vann (Wenn) Norfolk
Hilden - Kent and surrounding areas (romany gypsy connections)

Offline boltactionuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 20:25 BST (UK) »
Jax.
George "the toffee apple king" Daisy is my gt gt grandfather. Thanet Hawker. Married Smedley daughter of Moses Smedley, son of Emmett and Lee , Ashford Kent. Very brief and maybe marginally wrong from memory but will get you on your way. Most buried with no headstones.
I have info if wanted. Good luck

Offline boltactionuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 21:00 BST (UK) »
Jax,
Almost forgot to mention, the first posting on dates for George Daisey, birth, and George Daisy marriage, note different spelling but not unusual originating from "days eye" the old english name for a flower. Both dates shared are my grandad including the register of him being 9 years old with mum.and dad.