Author Topic: grey/sandy  (Read 9899 times)

Offline springtime 60

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
grey/sandy
« on: Sunday 19 August 07 21:47 BST (UK) »
this is probably an impossible one but i'm looking for my gggrandmother grey  from roscommon married a stanley early 1800's i have no first names or dates  i will be surprised if i have any serious offers of help
my request before was incorrect i made it stanley married a sandy
i know i'm asking rather alot
 ann

Offline cosmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: stanley/sandy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, could you give alittle more information as I have two SANDYS  girls who married a Stanley in the 1800's so maybe I can help.       Cosmo

Offline springtime 60

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 20:58 BST (UK) »
sorry all i can add at the moment is that the sandy's were in reading  and george was may ggreatfather and i think he had a sister mary. 1865 when george was born in aldershot  i am trying to get to the generation before but unable to find a birth certificate for him i know his father is also george other than that i have no further info
                      ann

Offline cosmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann
We may not be talking about the same people. The Sandys I have married and stayed in
Ireland. Sorry to get your hopes up. Cosmo

Offline springtime 60

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 19:06 BST (UK) »
thanks anyway i think it is roscommon where my ancester are from.
                          ann

Offline Maystan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 August 07 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
I hope this will help you out.  I have a William James Stanley, b: 1798 at Bethlem.  He married a Rebecca Susan Sandys, b: 1802, in 1835. She died in 1837. Her parents were Robert Sandys & Mary Bouchier.

He married Anne Sandys on 30 May, 1837.  Her father was George Sandys. (no further info on him).

William James Stanley's parents were James Henthorn Stanley, b: 1775 & Eliz. Ireland, b: 1776.

James Henthorn's father was Edward Stanley, b: 1748 of Low Park, Roscommon, married to Lydia Bacon.

Edward, b: 1748 father was Edward, b: 1725 at Low Park, Roscommon. 

Ann & William's children were - George Richard Sandys Stanley, b: 1840, Dorothea Mary, b: 1841 & Nehemiah Bonchier, b: 1849.

Ann Sandys' father George may be the one you are looking for.  If I can be of further help, let me know.

Offline springtime 60

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: stanley/sandy grey/stanley
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 August 07 20:16 BST (UK) »
i have probably wasted your time.sorry.
i have miss read this part of family tree i will type it as it is written for me
ggg grandmother grey ( from roscommon Ireland married   ? stanley
gg grandmother stanley married a sandy
g grandad george john sandy 1865 this is where i know of the family tree
it was to adventurous to even consider searching with such little info
thank you again
                       ann

Offline cosmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 August 07 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi maystan In your reply you say you have no information on George Sandys
 He was one of seven children of Nehemiah Sandys of Sandfield co Roscommon and Elizabeth Ryves daughter of William Ryves of Whitestown Dunlavin Co Wicklow. Nehemiah  had a career with the army, on leaving he was on half pay as lieutenant and was killed in an array with the Roscommon Militia on 13th June 1798. He was  the Captain. The information I have says the Roscommon Militia was called to help in  Wexford but I have yet to confirm this.
Robert Sandys who married Mary Bouchair was the eldest,  George married Doro Bouchair  1st september 1801 in Saint Michaels church limerick ( they dropped the "y", from personal experience it often happens)  his daughter Anne Eliza was born 1804 at Durham Lodge Roscommon. They also had a son Nehemiah who married Elizabeth Kennedy 30th July 1845 but this ended in 1853 when Nehemiah died at the same time Elizabeth was bringing a court case against the family. Nehemiah was my gggggrandfather and if you are interested I can trace the Sandys line back to Archbishop Edwin  and beyond there are some books published on the family in Trinity library.

Offline Maystan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: grey/sandy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 September 07 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Cosmo :) Thank you so much for all this info on this family.  I shall write it out & add to my list of family members.  This is very interesting & helpful to me. I would be interested in anything further you may have but please do not spend a lot of your time going back too far.

Edward Stanley, b: 1748 (Attorney) of Castle St. Low Park, Roscommon, his son James Henthorn, b: 1775 (who had a son William James who married the Sandys), James Henthorn had a brother Sir Edward, b: 1773 of Dublin who married Lydia Bacon. Sir Edward was my ggg grandfather. 

Thank you once again. I do appreciate it. If there is anything you would be interested to know, don't hesitate to ask.

Maystan