Author Topic: Crown Tap, Lewes??  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Crown Tap, Lewes??
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Crozier,

just seen this. The Crown Tap (in Market Lane)was the coachmans bar at the back of the grander Crown Inn at the top of the School Hill, or more correctly 191 High Street. Many of the fine old inns catered for the gentry and there was often a linked "shades" round the back for the servants etc.

Hope this extra bit of information is of interest

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline crozier

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past another country? Where's my passport?
    • View Profile
Re: Crown Tap, Lewes??
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 November 07 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Very much of interest, thanks!
Having received the two certificates, I think that the George Peters who married Ann Steer was a different person to the husband of Elizabeth Reid. As I've said before, way too many George Peters!
"My" George's father was indeed Edward I think I can say with some confidence. But I still need to untangle the other two Georges from the picture.
I also would love to know if the Edward of the Crown Tap was George mascerading under his father's name for some reason of his own. I haven't been able to find him on the 1851 census as I've said already.
Thanks again for all the detective work.
C ;D
Abbott, Surrey&London. Criswell/Cresswell, Painswick Gloucestershire. MacKenzie, Midlothian&London. King, the Tarrant Valley Dorset&London. Foreman, West Ham. Peters, Bolney/Lewes Sussex&London. Sandgrove, West Ham. Sundgren,Sweden.