Author Topic: bransby/stow  (Read 748 times)

Offline netnet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
bransby/stow
« on: Monday 03 September 07 21:02 BST (UK) »
I'm still looking for some info on William Holmes born 29th may 1822 bransby lincs. died 13th jan 1910 in doncaster
Mother Mary Doncaster. Father didnt marry mary until 1829 so don't know if he is williams father. He is also William Holmes.
Mary was from Fledbrough notts.
William had a full army career spaning 40 years ending up a beefeater. His wife was eliza ? if i could find his marriage perhaps that would give me some more info.
He wasn't married on the 1861 census but was by the 1871.
1861 he was in leeds
1871 brightside bierlow
1881 doncaster
1891 teddington
1901 doncaster
If i find the marriage and order the certificate it should give me his fathers name?
Hope someone can help
Bradstreet (Norfolk) Coles ( Somerset) Parkins (london) Walker (yorkshire) Holmes (Yorks & Notts) Vernals (yorkshire)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Re: bransby/stow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 December 07 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear NetNet
This is very tricky.  I have looked at Wm & Eliza on the census and it looks like they married late and had no children.  I was going to suggest that you get the birth certificate for one of the children to confirm Eliza's maiden name - but looks like that wont be possible. If you knew Eliza's maiden name you would have a better chance of finding their wedding.
What you do have though is some marvelous military information about William on the census records - He was a Regimental Sgt Major with the Lancers, at the Leeds Cavalry Barracks.  I would post your question again on the armed forces section of this site and the military people may be able to help you find information about William's military career which may help you find his marriage.
He was a long serving, high ranking professional soldier so hopefully there will be records for him.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Re: bransby/stow
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 December 07 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi NetNet
Saw your post in the military section - but have replied here to leave the topic open on the other board
Have you tried searching the London Gazette or the Times Digital Archive
He may just be mentioned ?

Mog
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES