Author Topic: LEONARD and BERRY  (Read 2458 times)

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LEONARD and BERRY
« on: Sunday 09 September 07 00:02 BST (UK) »
John LEONARD   married       Catherine BERRY
b. Ireland                               b. Ireland                                           |

had a child

Peter LEONARD, born 1860
                         Little Chute
                         Outagamie County
                         Wisconson

I know that this is not enough to go on, but in the unlikely event that someone has some information that they might share for this person's parents, the posting is made in the general category.  These are supposed to be my materal great grandparents and we do have some knowledge of their being in the Wisconsin area before they came to the state of Washington.  What I am attempting to find, however, is the birthplace and/or marriage of the parents of Peter Leonard.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LEONARD and BERRY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 September 07 00:20 BST (UK) »
Pre-1907 Wisconsin records can be searched here:
www.wisconsinhistory.org/vitalrecords
Wisconsin death records may include birthplace, name & birthplace of parents.
Do you know where and when John & Catherine Leonard died?

This site also has details:
http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/VitalRecords/index.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 September 07 00:54 BST (UK) »
This information was sent to me by my sister, who received it from my brother, and it is all that there was for these two individuals.  There is nothing else, and frankly I wonder if they can be counted on to be part of the family tree as my brother really does not know what he is doing with genealogy.  He is just an old man that is attempting to communicate with the past.  And the past has passed him up...  Oh well, be kind Jim.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 September 07 09:53 BST (UK) »
If you think they lived in Washington state:
www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/default.aspx

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 September 07 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you, we do know that the Leonards were from the Tacoma, Washington, area and my grandmother had a brother Peter.  Whether or not the parents were Peter LEONARD (b. 1860, Little Chute, Outagamie County, Wisconsin) and Julia Ann GAHAGAN (b. 1868, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin), we  really can't go back any further. 
The parents owned some property around Tacoma, and were dealers in I believe Ford automobiles.  They owned a HofBrau and service station in Tacoma, but my grandmother who never wanted to be identified as a grandmother - but as Hazel - went to San Francisco to live.  Her history is somewhat in a fog, and it was not a San Francisco summer fog at that.
We are beginning our search in the Wisconsin area so that we can backtrack to Ireland, probably the Cork area.  I want to thank you for the help you have been in getting this started.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 September 07 16:11 BST (UK) »
Think you need to work back from your grandmother to find the link to somewhere in Ireland. Do you have a birth, marriage or death certificate that gives her parents' names, etc.

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: LEONARD and BERRY and also GAHAGAN and WHONOHAN (possibly HOUNIHAN)
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 September 07 16:28 BST (UK) »
No, haven't a thing other than a posting from my sister passing on "information" about the ancestors, from my brother who seems content to say he has located some without really looking at it. 

All I have is the information that I passed on originally, that John was the father of Peter LEONARD, and he was born in Ireland.  His wife was Catherine Berry, and she was also born in Ireland.

It appears that they somehow came to Wisconsin, and possibly were farmers in Ireland.  We can hypothesize that they came sometime around the Great Famine, but that is a reach.  I am now working on the Wisconsin connection and would like to see if it had a large Irish population in the post 1855 period, that probably came from around Cork.  Lots of speculation, little facts.

Jim Carroll