Author Topic: A portable theatre;  (Read 1688 times)

Offline eise

• RootsChat Member
  • Jessie and Margaret Bird -my grandparents 1909
    • View Profile
A portable theatre;
« on: Sunday 09 September 07 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there all in Wales.

I am a descendent of the Wells Family who once owned a portable theatre, one of its names; (The Wells Pavilion Theatre)  According to an old news item this theatre was bought and taken to Wales somewhere;  The news item said that the 'Wells company amalgamated with Harry Farris and eventually he bought it and it was taken to somewhere in North Wales where it might remain to this day.'  that was a report in 1955 I believe, however knowing the historic value of such a piece there is every possiblity someone has it stored away somewhere.  We know hte hteatre was in Nottingham in 1891 but from there it is still a mystery.  many of the theatre folk, including my grandmother went to live in Rushden in Northants where I was brought up, but on 1901 census were still listed as actresses.  As one could imagine, I am very interrested in this, the theatre was originally bought by my great great grandfather Joseph Wells, who started his life as a Hawker.
By all accounts, through family talk and census, it appears that when his daughter Emma Young nee Wells died about 1895 the theatre seemed to have disappeared.  This could be because census stopped at 1901.  I guess there are many family researchers like myself, who are still patiently waiting the 1911 to come into print.
If anyone has any ideas as to how i could possibly trace this piece of my family history then help me please;

Eise
Burton Latimer; Isham; Rushden; Raunds; Great Addington;
Cheshire; Northants; Bedfordshire; Hereford;

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A portable theatre;
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 September 07 16:47 BST (UK) »
I have been Googling like mad,trying to answer your query!A name that cropped up was the famous author H G Wells.Would he be one of your ancestors?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eise

• RootsChat Member
  • Jessie and Margaret Bird -my grandparents 1909
    • View Profile
Re: A portable theatre;
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 07 12:00 BST (UK) »
H G Wells is not part of our family to my knowledge but one never knows;  I do believe he was local to our area after the Wells (females)  came to settle in Rushden Northants;
I only have the info wrote about and know that the theatre was sold on and could possibly still have been in Wales in 1955 era.  the sad thing i have no dates and no way of tracing this news item i have in my possession  i will read it again and if i find anything that could help i will pass it on.  There was a Harry Ferris(Farris) and Demar and the Whitney Company which were other theatres in Rushden when The Wells theatre was there and apparently joseph and harry farris amagamated there theatre companies and this is just before it was suppoed to have gone to wales.  Which would be after the 1891 census for the Nottingham performances.  Eise.
Burton Latimer; Isham; Rushden; Raunds; Great Addington;
Cheshire; Northants; Bedfordshire; Hereford;